Revised view on Dexcom G6 - yeah its a piece of junk and i don't trust it

And that was on your arm:( I agree, accuracy is great so I don’t want to give up. I hope the new batch of sensors work! I’m using a replacement right now.

1 Like

@Trying - keep me posted on how your arm works with the G6? I’ll do the same for you. Will put a new sensor in after a steroid injection under guided imagery tmrw morning. Had an MRI on Sunday and am doing fingersticks now - don’t want to have to risk removing another sensor early tmrw. (I have frozen shoulder! A topic for another post?!). Take care- Jessica

3 Likes

Yes, I have to use Skintac or the sensor won’t stay attached. I’m glad the over patch works for you. I’ve also adapted to having my sensors on the back of my arms, so I’m just naturally careful with that area. I adapted similarly when I wore a pump.

I choose my professional clothing around the idea that I’ll have a sensor on the back of my upper arm that I don’t want visible. I prefer that for my work environment.

Outside of work, I don’t worry about it. It’s actually kind of fun when another person with D comes up and points it out. We can nerd out over our treatment methods.

When I had a pump, the visibility of the tubing bothered me quite a bit for whatever reason, so I understand where you’re coming from. I just don’t have that issue as much with the G6- only every once and awhile. Maybe because it’s so small and because having a cgm has overall made my life so much better/easier?

Good luck to you both @JessicaD and @Trying with the back of the arm. I hope it works out!

3 Likes

Yes, I will! Someone in another thread/forum mentioned using the area between the belly button and xiphoid process so I may try that area, too.

Oh, man frozen shoulder is SOOOOO painful. Good luck w/ the MRI. I hope it will help. Steroid injection is not the best thing for a T1D, for sure! :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s EH’s favorite spot. He likes the dexcom all the way around to the back of his arm so it doesn’t snag on doorways. Almost up in his armpit if that make sense. Lasts well up there generally and we get more arm real estate. Hope it works for you!

2 Likes

You should start a post on that. I know many folks here have had it. EH had it in both shoulders. No endo ever mentioned it’s a side effect of diabetes, but once he saw an orthopedist, he learned it is common in people with T1D. He got physical therapy and that helped a lot, although our at home exercise compliance probably could be better to keep things moving.

I hope your shoulder feels better after the injection!

3 Likes

I had multiple Sensor Errors again last night, with 50% diff in reading with the fingerstick! :frowning: Sensor was only 4 days old, horizontally inserted on the abdomen. I am going to try new sensor on arm.

2 Likes

@Trying - shoot - I am sorry! That is crazy-making. Get this – I finally inserted a new sensor after the cortisone shot (oooooohhhh man - not fun and then SUPER not fun after my crazy metabolism washed away the lidocaine after about 45 minutes OUCH) and somehow I didn’t notice it (head buried in the sand in pain?), but I must have also had a 2 hour sensor error in the evening on day one!!! Ugh.

But I did want to mention to you that I put this sensor on my arm again; in a slightly different place and I would avoid it again. It’s on sort of the tricep area; the way bottom side of my arm, a few inches below my armpit. It’s catching on purse, bags, clothing - to the point where I’m a little concerned about ripping it out. The first one that I had more on the side of my arm seemed to be in a better spot for me. Let me know how it all works out for you! xo - Jessica

3 Likes

I sure hope the cortisone helps your shoulder! Welll, yes, severe pain can certainly preoccupy one from carefully monitoring the sensor! Sorry!! I hope the pain is subsiding!

Thanks for the tip on sensor placement on the arm. I’m soaking a sensor right now on the upper, back of arm. My old sensor seems to be back working again, after a full night of sensor errors! If I’d know it would come back to life, I’d not put on a new one!! We’ll changes ate, it will fail soon anyway!

3 Likes

How do you decide if the correct reading is from the G5 or the glucose meter?

2 Likes

@Trying get this: after that weirdo day one sensor error I’m at DAY NINE and haven’t had another error! This is a FIRST with the G6. I’m quietly celebrating. Jessica (but now I need to figure out how to rotate placement in my right arm only b/c of the PT with my left arm??? Hmmm)

@JessicaD That is fantastic! So glad to hear G6 is finally working for you.

Hmm, rotating on the upper arm … Maybe overlap the previous position a bit, just not the injection site??

Thanks to your recommendation, I’m on day 7!! I am using the back of my upper arm, too. No sensor errors, and very accurate readings. I’m very hopeful this one will last the full 10 days!

I hope your PT on your shoulder is helping, and it is less painful!!

3 Likes

@Trying, have you tried your thigh?? I also prefer my arm to my abdomen, but the thigh was a pretty solid location for me as well. Some people swear by it. I’m not one of them, but I do think it’s great as another option. :smiley:

1 Like

No, @Nickyghaleb, I’ve not tried the thigh. It seems like it could be cumbersome, but as you said, it could be another option. So far, arm is working, going on Day 8!!

4 Likes

You’ve probably already figured it out, but if, for some reason we have to reuse an arm we rotate it 180° and stick it on upside down.

Also if you have it somewhere that catches you can slam a sticker OVER most of it and it’ll still work. And EH recommends going around the back of the arm - further than I’d have expected as it doesn’t catch on stuff. He has ripped them off on doorways and stuff.

Hope you all have a string of successful ones!

I’m currently frustrated by the legitimate amount of swing between actual BG and what the Dexcom’s reporting. Because 32 isn’t the same as 62. Just saying.

2 Likes

That is a great idea!! Simple but clever! :slight_smile:

1 Like

UPDATE: I just wanted to confirm the left, upper ARM works!! I reached the 10 day expiration of my G6 last night!!! Yay!! I did not restart it since it was nearly falling off (yet still accurate readings!), but replaced it with another on my right arm! So far, so good. I had soaked the new sensor for about 12 hours during the day, not night, so that it would be ready to take over last night at 10:30 on expiration. This morning readings were a bit off, reading 55 when actually my fingerstick showed 84. I calibrated it then, and so far seems to be much more stable. Hoping it lasts for the full 10 days. I’ve not tried the Dexcom Overpatch before, but I am thinking to try it for added security.

3 Likes

@mariap, so sorry your question got missed!

Normally the glucose meter is the reference. But when we are not sure we will take several fingerpricks. For us, in most cases 2 fingerpricks are within 5-6 when in range.

2 Likes