Recommendations on Paris, Brussels, The Hague, Rotterdam, Amsterdam

I love the metro and public transit in general. If I never had to drive again I wouldn’t miss it one bit. I envy @daisymae and her walks across the Brooklyn Bridge for dinner. I’m not so totally pro Uber all the time, but wanted to share that it’s helped us feel safe in areas that are not. :slight_smile:

Also, on the money front/carrying less to reduce pickpocketing risk, split up the money into various pockets. I used to use a money belt but don’t anymore. I keep some cash in the coat and a little in my pants pockets and a small amount stashed in the suitcase. Also photocopies and digital versions of your passport and credit card phone numbers can be helpful. My dad was recently in Mexico and had his car and all his belongings stolen, and the images I made him text me on his passport we’re very helpful in getting home.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea. You are inspiring me :slight_smile:

As a guy, 10 years ago I migrated away from leather and to superslim wallets:

I order another one every 5 years. They are extraordinarily skinny, super light, and fit about 15 CCs and IDs. I’ll never go back to thick wallets. No pocket for money: I keep it loose in my (other) pocket.

I always wear mine in my front pocket, never in a back pocket. it’s pretty hard for someone to slip even a small hand in there without my noticing it.

I bought my wife a similar one too, but she doesn’t often wear pants with pockets :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The best of both worlds. Been using a thin wallet and money clamp for over 10 years. Works great, stays in the front pocket. Bills aren’t just floating around in my pocket.

3 Likes

As the State Department says, “Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency, and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.” You will need a copy if you lose your passport, and the Embassy has to issue a temporary for you to get home.

Also, let the State Department know where you are going. Many people think it is silly, but they bailed me out once:

2 Likes

This is just what I was thinking! Also a wallet may not fit in my front pocket without the cards getting bent when I sit down. An ex’s mother gave me a scarf similar to the one below, and I thought that idea was pretty cool. I probably wouldn’t want to wear the same scarf the whole time though…

https://www.amazon.com/Pocketed-Scarf-Sholdit-Rough-Collection/dp/B01IQBOQFY

1 Like

I love the idea of a scarf, but depending on how forgetful you are, it might be a disaster. I love cheap infinity scarves as a way to switch up the same outfit day after day. They pack small.

I try to buy pants with pockets for travel purposefully, but it’s hard to find ones that I fit into with great front pockets. I also travel with a messenger style bag with multiple zippers, and face them towards me. I always like having a messenger “purse” because I can stuff water, EH’s dibe stuff, a spare sweater, snacks into it.

And hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles of travel in the last 20 years, I have never had my bag stolen off of my body. EH has been pickpocketed once in Ceaser’s in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Backpacks however are often not allowed in museums and other places - you have to check them. My bag always is acceptable and I can wear it around my front if I’m worried about theft and still look normal.

1 Like

OK, you sold me well enough on it that I bought a money clip… I picked a carbon one and just got in, it’s in my pocket right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is mine with 10 years of wear. Still going strong.

IMG_1552

1 Like

Fav thing so far:

Drinking wine by the Seine!!! Remind you of any famous paintings?
The weather has been beautiful, and everyone goes down to the Seine in the evening to drink wine and eat cheese. The banks are filled with people. It’s magical!

5 Likes

Looks wonderful! Enjoy the wine and cheese!

2 Likes