Recommendations for phones that do (or don't) work well with Xdrip+

I just got my son up and running with Xdrip+. He’s using a refurb 1st gen Pixel XL running Android 9 using the same transmitter that was working fine on my phone (LG G8) with the same settings, but he’s been having trouble starting sensors and with the signal dropping out a lot (while the Dexcom receiver is still receiving the signal fine). We had a very hard time getting the transmitter connected the first time (phone would not discover and connect to transmitter) and it has been doing strange things in the bluetooth configuration, so I’d like to look into getting a newer phone that will work more reliably.

Does anyone have any suggestions of problem phones to avoid or recommendations of phones that work especially reliably? He really likes Pixel models, so comments on your experiences with those would be especially appreciated.

2 Likes

i personally have had no issues with Pixel phones if running Stable releases

1 Like

Which generations? Did you ever use a 1st gen Pixel?

1 Like

I have used 3, 4, 5 successfully

1 Like

Almost all phones work, as stated in this disclaimer on the now archived document on the xDrip+ Git hub site:

IT IS BELIEVED THAT ALMOST ALL PHONES WORK CORRECTLY ONCE ANY SPECIFIC MANUFACTURER POWER SAVING FEATURES ARE DISABLED FOR XDRIP

This wiki can be found at

2 Likes

Nice info @docslotnick!

1 Like

Good to know that pretty much any phone should work. But Android has a habit of screwing up things that used to work fine in new versions and updates. Is it possible that later versions of Android than those listed won’t work as well (he’s running 9 but 7 is on that list)? Or that the G6 doesn’t connect as well as the G5 did? It’s also possible that his specific phone has something funny with it due to it being a refurb, but bluetooth works fine on headphones and other devices. I’m looking at the same transmitter with the same settings working differently on two different phones and trying to figure out any possible reasons why.
Are there any hidden power saving features? I found the main one and it’s definitely off, but again, Android does screwy things sometimes.

1 Like

@bwschulz So much depends on how the specific phone handles GATT.

GATT is a BLE utility that handles the “handshake” between the phone and BLE device (the transmitter). This “handshake” must be dropped and reestablished on each info burst from the transmitter. If GATT is not properly closed after transmission, xDrip+ will refuse the next connection try.

There are a couple of xDrip+ settings that help overcome this problem on the phones that have it. In settings>less common settings>Bluetooth settings, there are a couple of items dealing with GATT BLE problems. Try playing with those to see if it helps.

Unfortunately, Android does not solely exist for us diabetics relying on tools like xDrip+ to help keep us alive. So a lot of protocols drive us crazy but are welcomed by most users.

1 Like

My son dropped his phone last night broke the screen (the display, not the glass) so he got his Pixel 3 Christmas present early. Night and day difference between the Pixel XL. It connected to the transmitter without even trying and get a signal as well as the Dexcom receiver.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming that a Pixel 3 works- we got one and it is indeed a night and day difference from the Pixel XL. It connected to the transmitter on its own and holds a signal as well as the Dexcom receiver.

3 Likes