Rash under Dexcom G6 sensor

Yes, I believe that is correct.

Totally possible. I am not sure if the G6 sensor allows for that. But we are moving to it this weekend, so I figure we can experiment soon.

Keep us posted how it goes. Iā€™m not particularly looking forward to it, but Iā€™ll be switching too as soon as my current transmitter dies. I donā€™t like change

1 Like

It sounds like @Randy has already tried inserting directly through hydrocolloid bandages with the Dexcom G6 and had failed sensors. But let us know how it goes, Iā€™d be interested if someone can get it to work.

1 Like

I just tried this yesterday (with the Libre). Fingers crossed that Iā€™m able to wear the sensor for two weeks without any horrible itching or rashā€¦

2 Likes

I hope it works!! Letā€™s us know.

You canā€™t say we arenā€™t a creative/resourceful groupā€¦:laughing: lol.

1 Like

This guy ReasonableCheesecake on Reddit does it with the G6 with no problems he says:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diabetes/comments/gmxjwf/hydrocolloid_under_g6_anyone/

Permalink for his post: Reddit - Dive into anything

3 Likes

That is too bad: I read everything you write, and I learn a lot.

Signed: a reader who wants to read more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jen, I just edited my message above:

EDIT - I have now removed the adhesive from the next sensor I took off, and THE WIRE FELL OFF. So removing the adhesive is NOT the way to go with the G6. It might insert, but then could be left in when you remove the sensor.

When I took that sensor off I had a red rash around the wire hole where the adhesive had contacted the skin through the 1/4" hole. That was what I had been feeling at day four. So I moved down to a 1/8" punch and made a much smaller hole in the hydrocolloidal bandage for the next one. I use a leather punch and pound it through the bandage with a wood backup. It takes a round piece out of the wood, and that may help to seal the edges of the hole and prevent the gel from oozing out. I am convinced that I donā€™t want anything injected under my skin by punching the needle through the hydrocolloidal gel, although who knows what Dexcom is coating the needles with.

Yikes, that doesnā€™t sound good with the Dexcom. I definitely wouldnā€™t be attempting to use that, if it were me.

@Randy, I am not way recommending that people should do it. But this is something that was commonly done with the G5, so it seems to me that the concept of injecting directly though the hydrocolloid should not be flawedā€”only a possible issue with the G6 specifically.

@Michel people may be doing that, and I have seen YouTube videos of people just opening a sensor and injecting it without even cleaning the skin first. But thatā€™s not how I do it. I donā€™t want to inject stuff into my skin or take a chance on fouling the sensor. I change my sensor after showering, clean the area with two separate alcohol swabs, wiping with a clean cloth in between, and let it dry before injecting the sensor. If thatā€™s overly fussy, so be it. I had a G6 sensor fail in three days after being mistakenly injected through the hydro bandage gel, and thatā€™s enough evidence for me. I use the technique in the YouTube video referenced above to line up the hole in the bandage very carefully. I punched a smaller hole for the new sensor I am wearing now and put it in a place where I wonā€™t sleep on it since that could put pressure and heat to work all night to make the gel ooze toward the wire or ingredients in the adhesive ooze toward the little bit of skin exposed in the hole. Then I covered the whole patch with a big piece of Tegaderm to try to seal in the evil G6 adhesive. I may eventually try making the hole in the bandage with a heated wire or the point of a soldering iron to try to seal the edges, but a better solution might be to find an effective barrier film with no gel in it. Opsite, Tegaderm and IV3000 all failed for me.

Why hasnā€™t Dexcom figured this out and put out some info instead of leaving each of us to worry through it? Might as well ask why they changed their adhesive without researching the allergy problem.

@Jen, I just removed a G6 sensor after ten days (wow! full term) and the only skin indicator was a small red bump. I used the technique from the YouTube video described above, a 3M Nexcare waterproof Hydrocolloid pad in size 6XL (about 3x4" or 75mm x 100mm) and punched the hole with a 1/8" leather punch backed by a piece of wood. Covered the whole thing with a big patch of 4" Tegaderm to seal in the Dexcom adhesive. It was a great relief that it worked!

Note on January 3: The next one also ran almost ten days, but some itching developed after about day 7, and when I took it off there was a rash the shape of the Dexcom sensor base. So the bandage helped, but I need a better one. Might try another brand. Where are you Dexcom? Some of us rely on you.

1 Like

@Randy, thatā€™s great to hear! I will try that in future if I switch to the G6.

Iā€™ve also had great success with my last sensor and current one after following a YouTube video on how to remove the adhesive (not approved by Abbott, obviously). I do still use the Band-Aid brand extra large size hydrocolloid bandage with a hole cut in the middle as well as removing the adhesive and then applying my own tapes.

Interestingly, Iā€™ve had some patch testing done for various substances that might be allergens (acrylates, latex, colophony), and so far everything is negative. Huge surprise to me! Although, itā€™s possible Iā€™ll still react over the next week or soā€¦ But who knows why Iā€™m reacting so badly if not allergic to anything obvious.

Like you, I am SO happy that Iā€™ve finally been able to use these sensors. Next will be trying to figure out how I can use infusion sets without irritation or failuresā€¦

So I recently have been having these same rashes and are pretty severe in the last month. Called Dexcom tonight and they are sending me 3 new sensor as havent been able to keep them in for the 10 days as prescribed. Asked them about the adhesive change and no comment. Saw several folks on here with same issue and I suggest you call Dexcom back and reiterate that the sensor failed due to said issue and hopefully get a new sensor to replace the irritated ones. Follow thru and hope the company stands behind you. I will be in touch with Dexcom in the upcoming days to follow up about this issue so please let me know if others are having same issues still so we can collectively try to get some answers from Dexcom. I am a newbie and 33 years type 1 pump dependant diabetic(50 Years young)

1 Like

Lots of members having the issue, things to try:
Flonase sprayed on the site and dried before applying sensor
Barrier Creams
Tegaderm applied to site, sensor applied to Tegaderm

Welcome to FUD! Happy to have you.

Welcome @crayoneater220, glad you found us.

A Google search on ā€œDexcom allergic adhesiveā€ will show you a whole raft of discussions on the web about this problem. Dexcom has a FAQ on it and they have known about it for at least a year, so your support person certainly did not give you the info that they should have. We all get the sensors replaced when we have to rip them off due to itching, but the real issue is that they replace them with the same sensors that cause the same allergic reaction. They donā€™t seem to think itā€™s a real problem. Using a hydrocolloidal bandage with a hole in it as a barrier film is working for me mostly, as long as I donā€™t sleep on it.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information and welcoming me to the group!

1 Like