Random D thoughts

i just love this. and i won’t take off my shoes, either. ( D health code: must take extreme care of feet :wink: )

2 Likes

@docslotnick, this would be a great thread of its own – Ok with you if I clone one for your comment on TSA?

@Michel That would be fine by me.

Done! Travel & TSA: express check line for CGM & supplies

Always the butter compartment, right? I’m guessing at least 70% of T1 households have sacrificed their butter compartment to D-storage. But it’s the best fit for the stuff you have to keep refrigerated, and let’s face it, the butter can go on a shelf. Even worse: now that I’ve gone over to one of these services that does 3-month supplies, I’ve colonized a big section of the vegetable crisper drawer as well. T1 refrigerator imperialism!

2 Likes

The butter compartment isn’t secure enough for me, too many vials rattling around with an insecure door. We just use a pen case sitting on a shelf, which gives us the advantage of being able to set stuff on top of it. I also am including a gratuitous pic of our “dot” labeling system for expiration, which should excite those who are turned on by organization.

3 Likes

I like how the OmniPod PDM’s food library references “Rabbit, cooked”.

It helps to differentiate it from all the times when you might be eating raw rabbit.

5 Likes

Also, how does one make meat balls meatless?

2 Likes

Tofu meatballs? As disgusting as that sounds…

1 Like

I’ve actually had some pretty good veggie "meat"balls and nuggets, but I think they aren’t really comparable to real meatballs and best considered as their own food item. Same with good veggie burgers (not all of them are good though).

1 Like

The best ones I have eaten were made out of couscous and beans. I would steer away from Tofu meatballs. Tofu is fine in other forms, but I can’t imagine it would ever make a great meatball.

We have some eerily convincing veggie hamburgers in our grocery. There are some called Beyond Meat that are sold in the meat aisle. We also have one called the Impossible burger. Both are pretty close facsimiles.

1 Like

@cardamom @Chris @TiaG I certainly was not denigrating the taste or quality of meat facsimiles. I was just pointing out that the only way you can call a meat ball a meatball is to make it out of meat. Tofu, couscous, or veggie balls are not meat balls.

2 Likes

i agree.

tofuball
couscousball
veggieball

This is my favorite thread on FUD.

1 Like

I will. They SUCK. I’ve had people cook them all sorts of ways for me promising me that “well, the last person just didn’t know how to prepare it.” And each time, I ate politely and matter-of-factly informed them that tofu sucked! But…to each their own! :smiley: Also, I know people who do actually make …what THEY call…“tofu meatballs”. I don’t even bother trying to correct them. lol

I am not a tofu lover, but two ways that tofu tastes just fine to me.
1 - diced small in a soup. Gives a texture to watery soups, adds protein, tastes like the soup.
2 - Extra firm tofu, that has been pan fried until crisp and then had a tasty sauce put on top. yum

With that said, you are more likely to catch me eating a piece of meat than tofu on any given day, but there are certain days being an omnivore is a good thing.

1 Like

I think a distinction needs to be made between tofu cooked in its own way, and tofu cooked to resemble something else. In my experience the former is tasty, the latter gross.

1 Like

I use an entire drawer on the bottom of my fridge to insulins as well as sugary carbs. I like keeping them al in one place; and I enjoy the irony😎

2 Likes

I’ve heard diabetes can make you forgetful, but I don’t think that’s true.