Random D thoughts

It’s amazing, but you really can be ahead of your meter. I have noticed this many times, I feel low, test okay, but a little while later I am actually low.

Always wanted to think of a catchy fun name for this experience. For lack of a better name, I just refer to it as a “Bleeding Edge Low”.

3 Likes

I think in all cases when discussing diabetes, you have to use bleeding. It just shows good form.

3 Likes

Hey, does anyone have a stick of butter I can borrow? I can’t find any…

5 Likes

Suppose you had to take a cross-country car trip in a car with no radio, mp3, or wi-fi.

Who would you rather ride with? Flo the Progresive insurance lady, or the Burger King guy?

I would definitely go with the Burger King. He seems like a kind soul.

I get a little bit more of the “serial killer” vibe from him. You’d never know at which gas stop he would slice you up and throw you in a ditch.

Although, on the plus side, he probably would not object to the occasional stop at BK’s for a slushee.

So I guess those two things would even out.

2 Likes

I’d go with Flo, but Flo don’t know that her guy is a Romeo.

Can’t get more random than that
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That depends if I had cocaine or shrooms for said road trip

3 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

I will say one thing about Flo - she does attend to her eyebrows.

2 Likes

When you are sleeping, the difference between low BG and normal BG , is the difference between a nightmare and a dream.

Last night I was skimming along the low/normal borderline. My Dexcom sensor fell off, so I was not woken up. My dreams were kind of strange. They moved from normal to bizarre, and eventually into the nightmare realm as I stayed asleep into lowness.

Anyone else get this when sleeping low?

3 Likes

@Eric My problem is that when I get low at night I have this nightmare that my Dexcom alarm is going off. It’s very unsettling, until my wife yells at me and wakes me up telling me to go eat something and do something about that damned alarm.

2 Likes

I am familiar with the Dex alarm nightmare. But my sensor fell off last night, so I had a much different nightmare!

1 Like

Morning random thought in the shower:

Looking back at the past almost 50 years, I think I am far better off healthwise having lived it being diabetic.

Meds that I would otherwise not be taking, like an ACE inhibitor, a statin, and metformin have become increasingly recognized as improving life quality for even non diabetics.

Also I probably would not have had my blood pressure so well regulated, nor would my adrenal hyperplasia been diagnosed had I not been seeing an endocrinologist for diabetes.

I know there are other examples, but it was a pretty short shower.

3 Likes

I have definitely had weird dreams, food/eating dreams, and weird food dreams when low. If I’m eating tons of carbs in a dream, it’s a pretty sure sign I should probably wake up and do just that ha. I don’t know that I’m more likely to have nightmares, but maybe—your sympathetic nervous system starts kicking in pretty hard when low, which mimics anxiety/fear responses, so reasonable that a low could drive that content in a dream.

1 Like

Ha, I was running higher than normal last night (at least as far as my random 5am check showed), and I definitely had a nightmare, complete with soul-eating demons while I raced to pick up my toddler from an event I never would have left her at normally. :scream: That may or may not have anything to do with the show I was watching before bed, though…

2 Likes

I like how whenever I call any diabetes tech support number, like for pump or Dexcom, they always say, “If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911.

I want to know who calls them in an emergency.

Who is the person that gets bitten by a rattlesnake and thinks to themself, “Oh no! A rattlesnake bite! I better call Dexcom tech support!
:thinking:

4 Likes

when i call my mother’s phone machine, i get that same message :blush:

5 Likes

Going through airport security, all the people have to take off their shoes to go through security. I know this is because of the “shoe bomber” years ago, who had explosives packed into his shoes.

I am glad he wasn’t an “insulin pump” bomber, or “CGM” bomber, or “BG meter” bomber, because if he was, that would really suck for all of us.

3 Likes

When flying a couple of years ago I alerted TSA that I had a CGM and syringes and an insulin pen. The agent made a phone call and then invited me to go through the express check where they just scan your pocket contents and carryons, and claim them on the other side of the walk through body scanner.

Every time I have flown since I just check in with TSA and they direct me to the express check line.

4 Likes