Random D thoughts

He’s been getting better at STATING that he feels low…but only maybe 10% of the time is he actually low. I praise him for even saying something, but after each stick, I show him the PDM and say, “Try to feel inside your body how you feel and associate it with this number.” If it’s low, I especially praise him and try to prod him for how he’s feeling…he always just says “tired.” But yes, he’s definitely trying and lets me know frequently that he feels low…but only a small fraction of the time is he actually low. Given his age, I’ll take it!

4 Likes

Yeah, I am actually glad that he doesn’t feel them any more than that, it is kind of a blessing. My son consistently describes 300 - 100 feels like he has the flu. No one wants to feel that every day or so.

2 Likes

It’s interesting because if I’m falling fast but not low (or close to low), it almost always feels specifically like hunger to me, this strong hunger that can also be present with lows, but seems to most often reflect dropping than absolute levels (whereas most other low symptoms are linked to the levels, sometimes worse when those levels are also dropping). So if I am 280 with a double arrow down and plummeting, it’s great, but I can be annoyingly hungry despite not really needing food and definitely not needing anything from a blood sugar perspective.

1 Like

Well, he does say “I’m hungry” a lot, so maybe he feels this also and we’re just not associating it correctly. Thanks for this tidbit of info…it will give me something to consider in the future when figuring out his high/low symptoms and feelings.

Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s part of what I suspect drives weight gain in untreated prediabetes and T2 diabetes, as well as in rollercoaster-y T1s—you have inadequate/ineffective initial insulin response, so a spike, followed finally by enough of a response to smack the levels back down, which likely drives rebound hunger/snacking (in addition to the weight gain caused by higher levels of needed insulin to metabolize food for those with insulin resistance).

2 Likes

Last night I brushed my teeth, got completely cozy in bed, almost fell asleep and then… low alarm. Looked as though Basal-IQ would not be able to handle it on its own. Darn.

Decided I was very against getting up and brushing my teeth again. Ended up taking several jelly beans as if they were pills (swallowing whole w/ water, no chewing)

Honestly worked well, not sure on if it has potential dental impacts but my mouth still felt completely minty and clean :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

I’m buying party favors for Samson’s 5th birthday party and worried that no one will come. (Separate story but some jerk parent of a kid in the same class booked a schmancy place for the same day so we are losing the birthday party coolness competition.)

Anyways, I ordered a giant pound of LEGO brick candies, even though it’s very possible just a handful of people will come. I am totally unconcerned however because I know that they’ll all get eaten eventually as low treatments, even if only 4 kids show up :laughing:

9 Likes

If we lived closer, we would TOTALLY choose Samson’s BD-Party over that fancy schmancy place. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

My mom thought I was totally crazy for buying a 10lb bag of skittles for low treats :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

How did the party turn out? Did Samson enjoy his birthday?

1 Like

AW thanks for asking! I think i went okay… my friends filled out the ranks and there were four or five kids from his class who attended. The room did seem a bit empty but I think Samson had fun!

5 Likes

Glad to hear it.

Chris

Walking down this aisle always makes me chuckle.

17 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008 I did not know that food had pancreases.

6 Likes

To me it seems like “cat food” or something…like we’re pets who need special food…

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought. News flash store… Everything is “diabetic food”

3 Likes

You know, the “diabetic food” phrasing didn’t really prompt any thoughts from me, though it is odd - I was just chuckling at the placement of candy right by the diabetic food… :laughing:

9 Likes

It’s good that they were placed together to help diabetics find their way to “their food” AND their low treatments…

6 Likes

Glad to see you again, @Pianoplayer7008. I was wondering when you might come around next…unless I missed you on one of the threads. Hope you and your family are well!

1 Like

Exactly!

@T1Allison, thanks! I was out of town for 3 weeks (unanticipated circumstances) and came back with a severe head cold the whole family is still fighting, so I’ve only been lurking the past month. :blush:

4 Likes