Random D thoughts

Last night I was at a dinner with family and relatives. It was a somewhat dressed-up occasion at a nice restaurant.

I was trying to check my BG under the table. Just in keeping with decorum for a fancy place, I didn’t want to show off my blood drop to other diners in the restaurant.

My fingertips laugh at lancets trying to get blood, so occasionally I have to work hard to get a blood drop. I kept jabbing my finger over and over. I couldn’t get blood to come out.

My son was sitting next to me watching the whole thing. Finally he just shook his head, extended his hand and stuck out a few fingers and said, “Here, just use these.”

:grinning:

12 Likes

So, did you get some blood out of his fingers? Enquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

Did you eventually just resort to the steak knife?

2 Likes

Dear Pod,

We need to talk. I know you expired 2 hours ago but you don’t have to keep shouting every 2 hours at me. I acknowledge your complaints twice already but you keep shouting at me in your beeping sort of voice. I mean it is embarrassing to me to have to explain to my co-workers about our ongoing argument - The whole office can hear you yelling at me. And my co-worker who I was having a heated discussion with, on a topic of importance, was interrupted mid-sentence with your “i am expiring in 1 hour” complaint. I know - you want to break off our relationship immediately. But I want to see if we can make our relationship last - well at least till I am home and some more of the insulin is used up and I can start a relationship with newpod. I really hope that newpod will love me more than you pod and won’t yell at me in the office right?

Your’s for 72 hours + 8 hours extra,
Aaron

10 Likes

Yes!!!

That made me lol in bed with everyone sleeping. Thx for that! :smiley:

1 Like

Really! This is a salient example of a trend that started decades ago. Who is the brilliant industrial designer who developed the idea to have our appliances yell at us? Toaster ovens, microwaves, clothes washers and dryers, … they show no mercy.

4 Likes

Glanced at my Libre and thought (after “yikes!”) “Hey, I’ve got glucose stairs!” :laughing: The onion rings and bangers and chips I ate 5 hours ago was worth it.

6 Likes

Looks like your diabetes is progressing :frowning:

Sounds like a great meal though.

1 Like

Yeah, lately this happens with any high fat/high carb meal, where no matter what I throw at it (insulin and exercise), it continues to climb. I’m also fairly insulin resistant at the moment, combo of hormones and coming back from an active vacation - spent yesterday in the car or on a plane.

1 Like

It’s funny how in almost 6 months of using the Freestyle Libre, I’ve gone from a minimum 8 fingersticks a day to today bemoaning having to test more than twice (pharmacy mixup means no sensor activated today). So annoying. :laughing:

3 Likes

Hah! I laughed outright at this… imagining the interior monologue ‘ohhhhhh for crying out LOUD, not twice today…cripes’ hehehehe
:grin:

1 Like

Pretty much spot on. I was afraid I was going to rip out this new sensor yesterday, and all I could think was, “I don’t want to do more finger pricks!” :laughing:

1 Like

Saw this on USS Yorktown today and it seemed just as applicable to T1D.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone else experiences this or not, but when I go to my pharmacy for my dia-shmeetes scrips (a Kroger-owned pharmacy), the tech or pharmacist checking out my purchases ALWAYS says:

“You do know how much this costs, right?” -or-

“And you are aware of the price???”

I always smile, wave my hand at them, as if the gesture itself is saying ‘oh pish-posh, I am aware, thank you’… to which they usually shrug and smile back. I usually say something trite like ‘trust me, I’d rather pay this co-pay than the entire out-of-pocket cost’, which usually results in nervous laughter from the tech.

My dear hubby has experienced this a number of times with me. I wave my knowing ‘pish-posh’ gesture. He raises his brows in surprise and anger. We finish the transaction, on the way out, he sarcastically says ‘Oh, NO. I am not going to pay that for the life-saving medicine I need to take daily to live. Noooo way. You put that right back.’ :laughing:

Makes us both wonder how many times a day they have people upset about pharmaceutical costs :astonished:

1 Like

I was wondering about that myself just last week when I picked up my Libre sensors. Every time I pick them up, the tech says, “And you know these are $75 right?” in that “you’re not going to actually pay that, right?” tone. I can’t wait til I have to pick up my Novolog refill…

It’s a shame these conversations even have to take place. :frowning:

Same here. Before I met my deductible this year I was paying $125 for 100 test strips. The kind pharmacy employees were always like, now, that’s going to be $125, is that ok? It was even more awkward when I bought extra out of pocket. Had I not met my deductible getting started on the Dexcom, a box of Humalog pens would have been $500+ and I was really dreading that interaction at the pharmacy. Thank goodness for samples

I have a family member who works at a pharmacy that says they are pretty much trained to ask. They don’t want anyone to freak out if the total is more than they were expecting. Pretty sad, actually. :frowning:

@DeeM - my wife just got back from the pharmacy…

$469 canadian and change ($361.21 US)

and that is just for the test strips. You just reminded me to be happy I have insurance so my total cost works out to something like $0.

EDIT: 2 are mine and 4 are my kids… so it is not all for me

3 Likes

No, they actually never ask me that. I’ve been going to the same pharmacy for 20 years (with four different names on the sign as they went from a single local pharmacy and have since been repeatedly bought out by ever larger chains).

On the other hand, they do ask me every time if I want my flu shot…

(even though I’ve already had it)

2 Likes

Geez I hope she didn’t get the lecture about the fam’s needs :rofl: