Random D thoughts

Same here. Before I met my deductible this year I was paying $125 for 100 test strips. The kind pharmacy employees were always like, now, that’s going to be $125, is that ok? It was even more awkward when I bought extra out of pocket. Had I not met my deductible getting started on the Dexcom, a box of Humalog pens would have been $500+ and I was really dreading that interaction at the pharmacy. Thank goodness for samples

I have a family member who works at a pharmacy that says they are pretty much trained to ask. They don’t want anyone to freak out if the total is more than they were expecting. Pretty sad, actually. :frowning:

@DeeM - my wife just got back from the pharmacy…

$469 canadian and change ($361.21 US)

and that is just for the test strips. You just reminded me to be happy I have insurance so my total cost works out to something like $0.

EDIT: 2 are mine and 4 are my kids… so it is not all for me

3 Likes

No, they actually never ask me that. I’ve been going to the same pharmacy for 20 years (with four different names on the sign as they went from a single local pharmacy and have since been repeatedly bought out by ever larger chains).

On the other hand, they do ask me every time if I want my flu shot…

(even though I’ve already had it)

2 Likes

Geez I hope she didn’t get the lecture about the fam’s needs :rofl:

Today was one of those (thankfully rare) days I absolutely could not muster up enough oomph to cook dinner, and we already had pizza a few nights ago (it’s just that kind of week), so…I fed the kids and myself cereal (and leftover chicken and some avocado. It was a weird meal). The funny thing was, I had mashed potatoes last night with dinner, and I spiked higher with that than I did the cereal. Ha! I know it’s because I put a little more effort into tonight’s dosing so I wouldn’t hit the 200s (success - topped out in the 140s :astonished: ), but was still funny to compare the numbers. Now I just have to resist the urge to keep working on my cereal formula…

1 Like

It’s always fun when my wife sends me to the grocery store when I have low BG.

2 Likes

@Eric hopefully you’ve treated it by now…

With a delicious cookie triangle with vanilla icing :cookie:

I always go for the Doritos if I’m anywhere near low OR hungry on a shopping trip…

1 Like

On the related note of wildly inappropriate and invasive comments from pharmacy techs…

When I went to buy pregnancy tests while trying for my second kiddo, they asked me, “Would this be good news or bad news?” when they rang me up. What the heck?

What if it had been “bad” news? What would they say to that answer?

7 Likes

oh man that’s awful.

Ay… yi… yi… :smile:

My wife only has a level 10 on her screaming.

Doesn’t matter if a spider is crawling on the wall, or a guy with a chainsaw and hockey mask breaks into the house - she will always scream at a level 10.

Generally when I am in the house and hear the scream, I have to decide whether I should drop everything and go running to her.

Is it really a level 10, like the chainsaw guy? Or is it really a level 2, like a bug?

I never know.

6 Likes

If she’s anything like me, a bug might as well be the chainsaw guy. :laughing: I’m looking forward to the day my son is old enough to come to my rescue when hubby isn’t home. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It’s too bad gluten is so destructive to my body, because I ate 40 carbs for lunch - including bread and potato chips - with no insulin…and barely a blip on my Libre, and that 2 hours after I ate. Only plus side to being glutened is the malabsorption (I’m guessing?) means more carbs with less insulin. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I thought of this post this morning when I discovered a little gecko inside my house. Hubby wasn’t home, so I had to put on a brave face for the kids and deal with it myself. I still squealed and jumped around, though…

And side note, I learned a lesson in not attributing shaking to dealing with tiny creatures in my house. Apparently I had dipped slightly low while dealing with the gecko, and by the time I realized it, I’d had a few sips of my coffee alternative that brought me back up. :laughing:

2 Likes

My mom had a dream the other day that there was a lizard loose in her bathroom. In the dream, she ran around screaming and jammed rags into the drains and under the door and then called me and told me to come get the little bastard. :smile: Apparently her dream came true at your house!

I love lizards. Would’ve been happy to catch that one for you. Here’s a pair that I accidentally doused in my garden a few years ago. It was getting cold out and I was worried they’d die overnight if I didn’t warm them up.

9 Likes

All I can say is that photo makes me want to run. :laughing: :scream:

2 Likes

Oh no! Will we never be friends in real life? :::sniff, sniff::: I love lizards. :slight_smile: But I could love people who don’t love lizards too.

1 Like

Some of my dearest friends have been bold lizard-friendly types. :wink: The dad of my best friend in college would put lizards on his ears as “earrings” sometimes to be funny…

2 Likes

Sometimes it isn’t even worth the strips I waste on calibration.
[sigh] :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

At that point it’s a crap shoot determining what your true BG is from those two meters. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like