Quick and easy pen and refillable from vial cartridge

I wish to buy a pen and empty but refillable cartridges. I am basically stoopid with a double o. All the sites I visit want me to buy a filled cartridge which takes a Rx, then I suspect I could refill it. I got many vials of Lispro and Humalog.
I checked Type 2 & MODY having no idea of what that means. I just hope a real person can intercept this …

There’s only real people here.

MODY is a rare genetic condition, so you probably don’t have it.

I think I’ve seen talk about refilling used pen cartridges on the fudiabetes forum; if you search it out there might be something about which brand works better or lasts for more refills. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen any talk of new, empty pen cartridges, so you might need an Rx for pen and needles and filled cartridges and then reuse the cartridges to lower the cost and use up your insulin from the vials. I’m a pumper, so I can’t tell you anything about which pen brands are best.

1 Like

Hi, @GeorgeFowlerEsq we have a resident tinkerer on all stuff diabetic @Eric
I remember reading this post of his a few years ago.

2 Likes

Hi @GeorgeFowlerEsq.
Welcome to FUD!

There is no “empty” pen you can get to start.

There used to be a pen that was sold that used cartridges. You kept the pen part, and just got new cartridges to put in the pen. With that scenario, you could just refill the cartridges from a vial.

I don’t know if they still make that one, but it was called the Luxura pen, and it was made by Lilly.

Here is a link:

The other option is the get the Lilly Kwikpen. Or preferably the Kwikpen Junior, which has 1/2 unit dosing. That’s a great feature!

Both the Kwikpen and the Kwikpen Junior can be refilled from a vial. It is not sold as a refillable pen, but you can do that. It’s a simple hack.

The link @CarlosLuis shared above shows how to do it. Thanks @CarlosLuis!

As far as I know, those are the only 2 options that allow you to refill from a vial.

Regardless of which you choose, you have to start with a prescription. None of those options is sold empty. They all come with insulin, which means you need a prescription for it.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

1 Like