Quarterly Endo Appointment

So we had Liam’s appointment today. Here’s what we found.

First, he’s down from 6.9 to 6.8 A1C. Although I thought he was 6.3 (according to the CGM), his actual blood A1C came out to 6.8. And you know what? I’m OK with that! That’s down another point. My goal is to get him between 6.0 and 6.5, so if I can drop it by .1 each appointment, that’ll be progress.

Second, he DIDN’T gain any weight this appointment…which helped his BMI because he GREW 2 inches…@ErinElizabeth really liked that news.

Thirdly, the Endo pretty much asked us if we had any questions of her. She said, and I quote "This is ordinarily where I would give you suggestions, but you only had 1 low in the past 30 days, his A1C is fabulous and you guys really seem to understand, and have a handle on caring for him, so I’ll just ask you; instead, if you have any questions for me! We passed on the questions this time around, but it felt good to get the medical reinforcement for a “job well done”…pat on the back sometimes feels nice.

She did indicate that he is using less than 1/2 of a toddler who she typically sees at this age so she still thinks he’s in honeymoon phase. TDD for us ranges between 5 and 7 units. She indicated this may because of our tight control with him and that she thinks it’s great if we can keep some portion of his pancreas functioning for as long as possible, where insulin is concerned.

So, not the A1C I had expected, but I’ll take it!

13 Likes

Wonderful! Y’all are obviously working hard to keep his BG under control. 1 low in 30 days is pretty awesome, too!

2 Likes

Good job Liam!
(we know your parents are taking the credit for your hard work. :wink:)

5 Likes

Really awesome! What a great appointment!

1 Like

Yes - Good job Liam.

Were you told what the “normal” TDD for a toddler was?

3 Likes

I don’t know what it is ?

Glad the appointment went well. Those are great numbers!

Congrats.

1 Like

Yes. I’ve read, and the Endo told me that 7.5 is the normal range for a toddler. They are even OK at 8 or 9, though for toddlers and babies.

2 Likes

Sorry! I misread your question. TDD! So, they said I use about 1/2 of the “normal” TDD of patients that she and her staff treat. So that means something like 10 to 14 units per day?

2 Likes

Brilliant news! So glad you had a positive visit, and that your dedication and hard work were rewarded. :blush:

2 Likes

I love it when a plan comes together, marching forward and making great strides. Great job.

3 Likes