Pressure "low"

I made a stupid mistake yesterday. I was having my first infusion, and the nurse wrapped the blood pressure cuff around my left arm (where I had just switched my G6 to) and it started pumping up (an automatic one) before I realized what was going on.

It’s been acting wonky ever since. Sometimes it will be right on with the glucometer, but then it will drop and alarm.
It seems super sensitive to any slight pressure at all. Even resting my arm at my side. (It’s on the inner part of my upper arm.) It also feels like there’s a slight “pinch” like from the adhesive tape.

I think I’m going to switch it out and put a new one on. Anyone experience anything similar? It’s the first time I’ve had “pressure” problems.

4 Likes

Just thinking, the cuff may have pushed the sensor wire out of the interstitial space and up against a muscle or nerve. Also, sounds like a near permanent compression low problem.

I will remember this next time I have my blood pressure checked at the doctor’s office, since I use my upper arms for the G6.

4 Likes

Sure enough. I took the sensor off, and the sensor wire was bent to the side. No wonder it wouldn’t behave. :wink:

I’ll have to pay more attention next time.

6 Likes

Well that is a new failure mechanism. Wouldn’t have thought of it on my own, that is for sure. Makes sense when you think about it.

4 Likes

Me either, just made sense to me when I thought about it.

2 Likes

@Jan

Thanks for reporting this. I am also a back-inside of arm CGM person. Both my deco and PCP staff members take my BP every visit, so I’m sure they have used my sensor arm ofn occasion …

While I don’t think that I’ve seen a problem, I agree that it is something to be aware of. And, I have never considered this …

In an endo’s office they should tink to ask “Where is your CGM sensor?” before attaching a BP cufff. I’m going to suggest that to them next time …

Thanks for sharing this finding.

John

2 Likes