Pizza line

How about a “FUD Pizza” thread (like Michel did with the one for milkshakes/ banana splits? Many of us experiment with pizza and how to bolus for it! I find that pizza and Indian dishes are the biggest challenges for this Diabetic!! :smirk:

2 Likes

i can’t believe you posted that. this coming sat i have to go out to celebrate my cousin’s bday, and all she wanted was Thai food. i looked at the restaurants menu and everything is made with sugar. EVERYTHING. i don’t have a clue as to how much insulin i will need to take to eat just a salad!!!

very nervous and angry that she knows i am D and doesn’t really care. i want to just bag out on her, but that would be against my unlimited raison d’être . :blush:

1 Like

i had to bolus for 75 gms carbs. what kind of pizza does your son eat???

i am telling you guys: eric is not really a D; he’s just a spy infiltrating our site. insulin is way too expensive for him to pay for his food habit :wink:

2 Likes

DM, in a situation like this, just over-dose for what you need. And hold off on dessert.

When you start to drop 1 hour later, or 2 hours later after dinner, or whatever - that is the time for desert.

If the food ends up having more carbs than you thought, and the over-dose turns out to be closer to what you actually needed, then you skip dessert.

Also take your insulin a bit earlier. Maybe 30 minutes or so, like as soon as you walk into the restaurant. Order a sweet drink. That way, if the dinner is taking to long to be served, and you start to drop. you have some sugar available.

2 Likes

i wanted to say that that sounds like a great plan, but my cousin just emailed me and there will be a change of venue. we will be eating at the world famous Peter Lugers Steak House. OMG. fabulous fatty fattening foods like enormous steaks, creamed spinach,huge fried potatoes, and on and on. its a never-ending food fest. and i am hoping that they will have key lime pie, which is my absolute favorite desert of all time. :blush:

i will do as you say, eric; i will totally over-bolus and sit back and enjoy every bite.

2 Likes

Usually Tombstone pepperoni, but whatever the carb information is on the pizza we’re baking, we just bolus for whatever 1 slice is.

this is one of the reasons (although not all of them) that i couldn’t deal with the Dexcom. i was obsessed with checking it every moment of the hour. i would panic if the arrows were going up or down, slow or fast. in the beginning it did help me learn about my body and how i metabolized food and how to bolus for diff foods, but after a year, i couldn’t take it anymore. now i just do about 20 finger sticks a day, and i have great control. i keep obscene amounts of notes so i can look and see how i am doing with each food. its a lot of work, but it beats dealing with the sensors !

Is Tombstone kind of an odd pizza for carbs? A lot of pizzas list 30+ grams or more per slice, depending on the type.

The Tombstone site shows it with 5 grams! Is that right?

I have had it before, but never really paid attention to the carbs on it. Does this sound right to you?

Maybe it is a mistake on the Tombstone site. Sites like fatsecret and myfitnesspal show it with much more. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://www.tombstonepizza.com/products/original/pepperoni-pizza

If you have a box of it, maybe you can take a look and let us know.

Something that might help you - ignore the Dexcom all day and only use it at night. You can sleep better if you set it to beep at low or high. And don’t worry about it during the day so you don’t obsess over it. That’s the main benefit I get out of it…

how could i possibly hold off on desert??? what kind of a suggestion is that :wink:

1 Like

well, as i have mentioned before, i am so skinny that i have nowhere to hook it up to on my body, and i could never get more than 3 days out of one sensor. and, most of the time i would just get the ??? icons. it was extremely frustrating. i tried it for about a year and then called it quits. i think a year was a fair try, though. i was very determined, but i just couldn’t get it to work for me.

1 Like

It just means wait! You wait until you are dropping and then have it.

PS: i wake up automatically every night several times a night just to P, so i test then. i am usually very steady throughout the night, hovering from 70 to115. very very rawly low or high. phew.

1/3 of a “Jack’s” pizza is 36g = 108g for the whole pizza. Subtract 6g for the dietary fiber. Divide that by 8 and you get 12.75g per slice.

Not sure about Tombstone because we don’t have that in our freezer atm, but we do have Jack’s Pepperoni. He eats 1 slice of that and gets bolused for 13. Tombstone he gets 15g per slice. I don’t have a Tombstone package atm so I can’t give exacts, but the above is similiar for another brand the kids like.

how many calories do you consume each day? with all the info you give about yourself, you should be bigger than Santa Clause :wink:

i think i will send you another Juniors Cheesecake just so you can show me how much of it you eat at a time and how long it take you to finish it, while, at the same exact time, i can see your dexcom readout.

you make me laugh so hard sometimes, i feel like we are in the Twilight Zone :blush:

1 Like

Oh no! She figured out who I am. :astonished:

You know why I eat that many carbs. I’ve been telling you for many months to get more carbs in your diet! That’s how you fuel your exercise. You fill up your fuel tank and then burn it!

The last Junior’s cheesecake I ate a 1/4th of it in one sitting. After that, I didn’t really keep track of slices and amounts, I just started eating it right out of the box with a fork. :yum:

4 Likes

is there any other way to eat it? :wink:

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: How to replace extended pump bolus for MDI?

what would you have done? chocolate?

I didn’t have a donut, but I think that a donut is fried, greasy and carbheavy.