Picked up my Afrezza!

Carb counting is not necessary with afrezza… super cool to watch someone else realize it’s magic after I’ve encountered so many trash talkers on the subject (none of whom have used it) on the internet

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!

And what a great birthday it is: this is a LOVELY curve! I am thrilled for you!

1 Like

@Sam, yes! Not having to count carbs so closely or measure/weigh out portions precisely is a huge relief.

@Michel, thank you! I’m pretty thrilled, too.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!!!

Great reading and seeing your experiences on Afrezza. The stuff just works and it’s always great to see new users.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sorry I missed this earlier!

So I took a break from recording and major experimenting as I was getting a little burned out on everything…but have picked it back up, attempting a church potluck experiment today. Ignoring the failed attempt for a waffle this morning, I almost nailed the potluck meal, which was way too many carbs, but oh, so good. The 4u was Afrezza, followed up by Novolog.

5 Likes

Sooooo, (corn) pasta still remains something that is surprisingly easy on my blood sugar, particularly cold - had pasta salad tonight along with baked chicken and a green salad.

Started off at 154 (darn me thinking I could eat yogurt and granola as an afternoon snack, double darn that I didn’t check my BG after eating it…), ate, dosing 4u Afrezza 10 minutes after the first bite.
1 hr - 100 (sweet!)
1.5 hr - 79 (uh-oh?)
2.5 hr - 80 (I’ll take it!)

My only thought is that the combination of the minimal effects of resistant starch on my BG levels and possibly my pancreas freaking out over the 154 (tend to drop fast ~1.5 hrs after a high, which is when I was eating dinner) led to the major drop. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve seen a drop with Afrezza/pasta, though I’ve never dropped this much.

6 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Whew. Just to show I don’t always have great results (ha!) - had a very stubborn high tonight following a “lazy” meal of prepackaged GF General Tso’s chicken I’ve had in the freezer for a while (that sadly wasn’t even very good at all). I’ll be sticking to making my own Chinese food from now on. I can’t imagine how long/how much Novolog it would have taken to bring this down. As it is, I dosed Afrezza with the meal, a followup dose when I saw the high (176!), then a unit of Novolog when it still wasn’t budging much an hour after that, which finally altogether brought me down a decent amount. After an additional 1/2 unit and a snack, I’m at 78 (a little lower than I’d like to be going to sleep), so I just had a little peanut butter which always bumps me back up to my comfy 100 range I like to be at before bed. In hindsight, I should’ve gone with my instinct to use one of the many 8us of Afrezza I have sitting in my fridge, but I was too afraid of lows while home alone with the kids.

3 Likes

Every meal is an experiment, when it comes right down to it, and sometimes we just have to figure it out on the fly! You’re doing great!!

6 Likes

So true! I expected to go high after this meal; I just didn’t realize how stubbornly high it would be - I should have known from past experiences with Chinese food highs, though. :grimacing: My first recorded BG over 200 was thanks to Chinese food, haha.

2 Likes

The first time we went over 200 after diagnosis was a traumatic experience for us… @Pianoplayer7008, I think you are doing WONDERFULLY! Your friend Michel

2 Likes

I think I was just so relieved it happened AFTER I had my baby, I wasn’t quite as upset as I normally would have been. And thanks. :smile:

4 Likes

@EricH and I are heading back to the endo office tomorrow morning to meet the Afrezza rep and get the puffing and huffing test done. Probably in part due to this thread and all the other folks who’ve tried it and reported back about it! Thanks to everyone who’s shared. I hope it helps EH if he’s able to use it.

4 Likes

I hope so, too! It’s pretty amazing stuff.

4 Likes

There is nothing else like it. I hope EH can get some.

2 Likes

Today, I tried an 8u for the first time. I had a grilled chicken thigh, a whole sweet potato (haven’t done that in months!), and braised kale.

Pre-meal, 5:45 - 91
6:15 - 77
6:45 - 93
7:15 - 78
7:45 - 78

I did feel like I dropped too much, especially at first, so I’ll probably need to dose the Afrezza a few minutes into the meal to keep my BG steady (I felt it working 8 minutes after dosing, whereas I feel it 12 minutes after for a 4u). I dosed it with the first bite because of the fast acting carbs in the sweet potato, but obviously that probably wasn’t necessary. I usually dose 10 minutes after the first bite, so I’ll try that next (leftovers tomorrow!). I’m very impressed with how this turned out.

1 Like

Last night was a “forget diabetes and EAT” kind of night. We had taco rice bowls (with veggies on the side) for dinner. I used an 8u Afrezza. I dosed 1.5u Novolog @1 hr since it was a pretty fatty meal and I anticipated a rise later. Well, it didn’t happen, so I made a mug cake. An hour after that, my husband and I were sitting down to watch a show together, and he asked if I wanted some popcorn - why not? So for the first time in over a year, I ate a bowl of popcorn without measuring anything or limiting myself; just ate how much I wanted (again, with an 8u Afrezza).

I started the night at 100 and ended 5 hours later at 79. I checked fairly often (mostly because I couldn’t believe I didn’t spike) and never tested above 110.

I did confirm that I don’t feel great eating that many carbs all in one evening, but it was still yummy and fun. :blush:

4 Likes

Try that with novolog…

3 Likes

Heh, yeah, even small, measured portions of popcorn alone with Novolog haven’t been great.

1 Like