Picked up my Afrezza!

As Irish said the Pacific Northwest, where (I am not kidding you) people complain when it gets down to 50, brrr too cold, and since we have 40% of the population with no air conditioners, the heat complaints start at 78. I have lived all over the country, and never have I experienced people who require such a tight range of temperatures to be “happy”. With that said, I am quickly becoming a wuss about temps. I travel for work, and regularly leave the ideal PNW range and I have even caught myself complaining…

1 Like

So that place would be considered a “flatliner” location as far as temp go then! w00t. Sounds nice.

1 Like

Yes, in addition to the favorable temps and almost no mosquitos, from my house I can do the following with one hour of driving:

Ski (Oct. - Labor Day)
Hike in the mountains
Go on amazing waterfall hikes
Dip your toes in the Ocean
Visit cool tidepools
Spend time in wine country (Pinot grape mostly)
Go into town and eat

Not bad living.

1 Like

All that sounds great if you like the outdoors/aren’t allergic to just about everything around you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No mosquitoes…wow, sounds like heaven. I’m the biggest mosquito magnet of all time…I can go outside my house for 2 minutes and be bitten 5 times. :frowning:

1 Like

Mosquitoes NEVER bothered me until after my first pregnancy. I suspect that’s about when the LADA was triggered - maybe my blood was sweeter with all the sugar? :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an inevitability that you’ll see 300s in the morning without careful planning either. Our son typically eats 25-30g of carbs for breakfast (excluding fiber). He hasn’t spiked over 300 in at least a month or two. Our new “bad breakfast” boluses are usually in the 230 range. Most days he spikes to the 150s or 160s and then drifts down.

On the other hand, while it’s rare for our son to spike to 300 anymore, it would be extremely easy to hit that and even higher if we just “aimed for it.” Like if we under-bolused for half of his carbs, I have no doubt he could reach the 600s.

But my guess is that in early honeymoon, it would actually be impossible for some people (like @Pianoplayer7008) to hit those 300s if they give at least a little bit of insulin, or at least quite challenging.

1 Like

Same. Liam’s worst time of the day is mornings and we haven’t gotten above 250 for months now. And he eats the same 25 - 30g. And, like you, if we underbolused, didn’t micro-bolus, didn’t do extend bolus, didn’t do all the right things, Liam could easily go way over 300.

1 Like

I think this is very true. Even my worst - eating a small portion of sugar-packed Chinese food with no insulin on board (stupid postpartum decision) - I only spiked into the 200s.

Tried my first (lettuce wrapped) burger and fries today. I guess technically I could have had a way delayed spike after this, but I haven’t ever seen a spike after the 3hr mark at this point, so I think it’s unlikely. I was kind of in shock over these numbers (and felt they were too good to be true - I want that CGM!).

5 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008, way to go, these are GREAT numbers!

2 Likes

Thanks for putting up photos! Getting a chance to see the food and the resulting data is really interesting.

What app is that? I’m planning on starting an app thread once I sift through all of the existing posts, but it looks like you have something interesting there.

1 Like

I use mySugr. I just use the freebie version; if you pay a monthly fee, you get more features. I’m not sure if this app can connect to a CGM - I think some of the apps do, but since I don’t have one yet, I haven’t checked.

If you use a Dexcom G5 and you want data like that, xDrip+ displays it right along with the Bg track. All the tracks are stored in history so you can refer back to them and any notes you’ve made. ( notice the note of what I ate for carbs at the bottom, it’s kind of small.)

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: When to keep or throw diabetes equipment

A post was merged into an existing topic: When to keep or throw diabetes equipment

I am not technology adverse. But I don’t want to encumber the “art” of my diabetes management with a bunch of cold, sterile, unfeeling robotics. Where is the love?
:joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @docslotnick and @Pianoplayer7008! @Eric recommend I post something about tech here and get the FUD folk’s take on what they use. (He’s apparently a Luddite.)

I’ll download them both and get back to you. Maybe on another thread.

I am glad the Afrezza seems to be a good option for some of you! Thanks for sharing your stories about it.

1 Like

@TravelingOn, your topic seemed so interesting that I made it the start of a new thread: When to keep or throw diabetes equipment. I recreated your part of the reply on the present thread but I can’t change publishing time so it is out of sequence. Hope that’s OK!

1 Like

…and she called me a Luddite…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So today was one of those “bad” days in terms of food choices - cinnamon rolls for breakfast, ice cream after lunch, pie after dinner…but hey, it’s my birthday. And it actually turned out ok! I’m pretty sure I missed at least one spike (need. that. CGM!), but what I did catch through finger pokes looks good enough for me.

ETA: one HUGE thing for me that I’ve noticed with the Afrezza is, now that I’m not so closely counting carbs to match insulin dosage, I feel more freedom to go back for 2nds or eat a little more at a time, so I’m not needing to constantly snack between meals, which is a big deal - I’ve spent the last 8 months pretty much hungry all. the. time.

8 Likes