Picked up my Afrezza!

I found that as I included more protein and fats (nuts, dark chocolate), I didn’t crave many carbs.

2 Likes

In adult type 1 and / or LADA the whole honeymoon concept is a bit over rated IMO… there’ll likely never be a distinct “end” to your “honeymoon” you’ll likely just over the years require more and more insulin despite eating less and less carbs… whereas in childhood onset type 1 there’s often a very pronounced honeymoon period where they onset rapidly and acutely, and after starting insulin therapy their body just turns a switch and functions properly or near properly for some length of time then burns out again after some time and doesn’t come back…

It’s actually infinitely easier than knowing how much insulin to inject… with afrezza generally you’re just taking a small dose or a large dose (and sometimes follow ups) and within that pretty much all the bases can be covered well… whereas with injected there’s an infinite number of possible doses and a million possible ways to get it wrong.

1 Like

The sales reps or doctor often have sample packs with the various dosages. I think I got a combo pack of 4s and 8s. Now I only use 4s, and occasionally use 2 for the same meal, 15-20 minutes apart.

Just plan on it being something you learn as you go rather than knowing all the answers upfront. I found that to bring down a high, 4 units were about the same as 2 units of Novolog, but faster. But add exercise and it brings it down quicker and I may need a small snack.

3 Likes

That’s precisely why it doesn’t work for me. :slightly_frowning_face: the other health issue (mitochondrial myopathy) basically doesn’t allow me to convert long chain fats to energy, so nuts, avocados, etc just leave me craving carbs (quick energy source). Dairy helps, but between my health issues and breastfeeding a baby who doesn’t tolerate dairy, I keep having to cut it out.

It’s oddly encouraging to hear that - I can stop feeling guilty for not trying to extend it by eating low carb. :wink:

I got a free months supply of 4s and 8s to start, but based on how I’m doing so far, I don’t think I’m going to need an 8 anytime soon!

2 Likes

A day on Afrezza (Novolog, too, at breakfast and for one snack - only have 3 doses per day of Afrezza). So ignore that spike there at the end (I ate something I knew has been bad news in the past…it still got me). Interestingly, every single time I tested at 1 and 2 hours post meal w/Afrezza, I was right at 110. I’m really anxious now to get approved for the Dex so I can see more of what’s happening (without having to test 50 times a day anyway).

5 Likes

Right on… it’s amazing stuff. How are you timing your doses? For me that’s a big key is timing different types of foods differently but if it’s working for you without overthinking that aspect then it’s even better

3 Likes

I take it after my first bite for most things, and that seems adequate, which is exciting. I’m still trying to figure out dosing for a delayed spike, as with taking 4s I obviously have to get creative to split the dose (still need to watch that video on the other thread).

1 Like

The cgm makes timing slow digesting foods a lot easier… given the number of carbs you say you eat it’s virtually impossible that they’re what I would consider predominantly “slow carbs” so it seems whatever you’re doing is working well for you… lol be careful if you keep having good results with it soon trolls will start crawling out of the internet woodwork to harass you

2 Likes

Right. It’s not often I have a delayed spike (any peak later than 1 hour I consider delayed based on what I’ve heard/read, but my thinking just may be faulty - correct me if I’m wrong). Usually it’s just if I eat something like Mexican food or pizza, which are both high carb and high fat. Pizza I can mostly stay away from; Mexican food…well, I was born, raised, and now live again in Texas. :laughing:

And, ha, thanks for the warning!

1 Like

Yeah it evolves over time with me… lots of variables I don’t understand completely

Don’t you love the unpredictability? :expressionless: That’s the meal I had tonight - don’t really understand why it is problematic for me, but it is. Oh, well.

1 Like

mmmmm, having fond memories of the migas after a night of drinking… Where about in TX do you live. I met my wife in Austin.

1 Like

In the DFW area (love it)!

1 Like

I do miss the food in TX, but I don’t miss the heat. I now live in the PNW, where it is 55-75 90% of the year.

1 Like

Whats PNW? I also didn’t enjoy the heat and humidity of TX.

The Pacific Northwest, otherwise known as PARADISE!

4 Likes

Haha, I don’t necessarily love the heat, but I hate the cold more…and having lived in the south most of my life, cold is anything below 70 :laughing:

1 Like

I like a good blizzard. But no more then a couple times per season.

1 Like

Ha! I wouldn’t know what to do in a blizzard, having never experienced one. I’ll stick to my hurricanes…