Picked up my Afrezza!

Yeah novolog and other injected you really have to have your ratios and carb counts and dose all that stuff pretty exactly right. Afrezza you just don’t have to.

3 Likes

Hmm, maybe because he’s a toddler, but Liam can eat as much popcorn as he wants with little or no spike. I guess each person reacts differently to different drugs. I usually give him 2 - 4 cups popcorn snack twice or three times a week for lunch and he does fine with Novolog.

2 Likes

Popcorn isn’t that hard on me… when you think about it a cup of popcorn is like a teaspoon of actual corn kernels so it’s not like you’re really eating much, it’s mostly air. All the other stuff she ate is the hard stuff…

2 Likes

And we air pop our popcorn so no worries about all the oil and what have you either.

1 Like

See, this I guess is just a classic case of YDMV. Popcorn definitely causes a spike for me, but, for example, rice (the specific kind I buy made the particular way I make it) doesn’t. Same with the mug cakes - I only ever make ones that are almond flour or almond butter based, and those also don’t really cause a spike.

1 Like

How high? “Spike” can mean different thing to different people.

Excellent point. For me, a spike is anything more than a 20-40mg/dL rise, which is what I personally shoot for. Typically, I’ll go up about 50, which usually puts me over my 140 threshold of “high” blood sugar. So it really isn’t that terrible, but it’s not something I want to do every week.

It’s not something I like to happen multiple times a day but unfortunately I have diabetes… enjoy it while it lasts

1 Like

I’m trying to! :slightly_frowning_face: I think that’s another thing, though - this is where I’m at right now in disease progression, and you’re in a different place. It’s easy for me to have just said, ok, I’ll just avoid popcorn except as an occasional treat, and keep under my goal 140 (which thanks to this forum is fast becoming a goal 120, haha). If it got to the point, though, where I was having to say that about lots of foods, well, then you have to weigh the pros and cons of things - is it worth my numbers not being as good so that I can actually eat, or do I make myself miserable but have perfect numbers? I was forced into the latter during my pregnancy - before starting insulin, I was having to carb restrict (while also unable to eat much of the fats my body can actually use due to the muscle thing because of other health issues), and I was truly miserable. Hungry all the time, zero energy, plus still struggling with morning sickness and autoimmune flare ups, not to mention the emotional aspects of it. My numbers were fine, for a while anyway, but that is not the way I ever want to live for the long term. So I can see where you’re coming from, but I imagine you have to just manage as best as you can while also being able to enjoy life (and food), even if that means less perfect numbers. Thank you for the reminder that, as stressful as things feel now, I have a lot to enjoy and be thankful for, having it so “easy” right now.

It shouldn’t be— I’d actually urge you to relax your goals a little bit. You are currently maintaining your blood sugar far tighter than a typical non diabetic. There is no point to that and it’s consuming a lot of time and causing a lot of frustration… spending all day cruising around above 140 is not ideal but spiking up there briefly after a meal and coming right back down is about a perfect mimicking of a healthy metabolism… you’re doing great

I should clarify. It’s a goal meaning when I’m thinking about dosage for a snack or meal or doing a correction, my goal as part of the calculation is to end up back under 120 (and it doesn’t always happen). I still am fine with going up to 130s and even 140/150s don’t stress me out like they used to - I’ve relaxed a lot recently, again thanks to this forum!

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

OMG. Trade ya my diabetes. (You don’t want it, I know. Nobody does.)

@Sam is right: relax. Many of us would kill for numbers like that.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Afrezza fails and recoveries

That looks delicious!!

1 Like

Yes to dark chocolates! What types of nuts? Walnuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio, cashews (although cashews are relatively speaking high carbs), have I forgotten any good nuts?

1 Like

Whatever I find at Costco ! Yes, cashews are more carbs, but mix them with almonds, peanuts, and others, unsalted where available.

Best dark chocolate from Trader Joes.

2 Likes

Does anyone use Afrezza to bring down highs (rather than as a mealtime bolus)? Humalog takes 2-2.5 hours to bring down a high for me – it would be wonderful to have another trick up my sleeve to deal with highs.

Along with that, obviously all insurance plans are different, but any general thoughts on insurance covering long lasting (Lantus), quick (Humalog), and ultrafast (Afrezza)? Thanks! Jessica

1 Like

I use Afrezza for both mealtime and sometimes for corrections. I do have to be careful only to use it if I’m high enough (meaning I don’t usually correct with it if I’m hovering just out of range at 150-160ish) because it will cause a mild low for me otherwise. That may just be me. :smiley:

1 Like