PDM stops working due to Moisture

Has anyone experienced their PDM stop working due to moisture getting into it? We’ve shook it out and got what moisture we could without DIY’ing our way into the device to try and dry further. But currently it still won’t turn on. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

My goodness, how did that happen? And have you called tech support for advice (and possible replacement)?

ETA: I save all the silica gel packs that come in supplements or meds just for drying out electronics.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it was on the dresser and a cup got left sitting out next to it and the condensation. It wasn’t much, but after gently shaking it, there was a little moisture that came out of it. Thankfully my wife is pretty prepared if these things happen so she was able to do her injection manually. We are trying to see if we can dry it out ourselves before we get on the phone with tech support. But will likely be calling soon. I’ll update the post soon with what we end up doing. Thanks.

1 Like

I vaguely recall a rumor that Staples stores have a dehumidifying machine for drowned cellphones.

The old remedy for something that got wet was to put it in a sealed pouch that’s filled with uncooked rice.

1 Like

Contact Insulet. They may replace it, free of charge. They replaced my PDM when it stopped working, free of charge, even though it was out of warranty. Give them a call.

2 Likes

I’ve not experienced that with the PDM but I have, yesterday, with another touch-screen device (a lightmeter). I’d had to clean it out because of a leaky battery and moisture (actually, mostly ethanol) got into the touch screen. It recovered, I think completely, after several hours of air drying, but it’s winter here and the indoor humidity is only 37%.

I would certainly contact Insulet; even if you can dry it out enough there may be problems with the touch screen or (on the UST400 PDM) the front buttons both of which can trap moisture. The newer Dash PDMs hardly cost Insulet anything so I would be surprised if they don’t send you a new one if it is one of those - they’ve recovered their investment after you have used a couple of pods.

2 Likes