Pandamania 10k Training Log

Is this the first time with your breakfast plan? We need to get that dialed in.

1 Like

no, i have run 3 days using the wakeup:oatmeal:insulin plan i intend to deploy on race day. two were successful (including one long run) on the treadmill- yesterday was my first fueled outdoor run, and i believe i stayed in range during but i wound up in the stratosphere shortly after getting home. i am guessing the 15g glucose tabs were unnecessary (the BG 82 was probably inaccurate but i did not question it because i wasnā€™t thinking about the cold) given the timing and scale of the spike.

2 Likes

ok, so the 250 comment threw me a bit.

1 Like

sh*t threw me, too! :grimacing::grimacing::rofl:

i realized i meant to put these explanations here and they dropped into DM instead. hereā€™s the long form on yesterday (sorry for dupe @eric):

i was doing great yesterday until i took a reading during the run. it said 82, so i popped glucose tabs. i tried to check again in about 7 min and the meter was just throwing total errors. (when the contour said 82, the cgm was still showing 130s; both crapped out shortly after this.) given the 250+ timing, i think i took sugar based on a wrong reading and yeeted myself off the planet. i donā€™t think my breakfast was the problem though because thatā€™s been done a couple times and yesterday was an anomaly. basically even though i did not feel low, i was scared of running low out there with nobody around so when i saw a low number i took the sugar without really questioning it. i should have trusted the force!

when i got home the verified meters at room temperature here at home both popped around 220/230. it was really that high post workout. i really think i got a wrong 82 and sugared up when i didnā€™t need to. not sure if the cold or if my hands were grubby or what, but itā€™s a good lesson to double check if something doesnā€™t match how i feel or what my analysis expects. :woman_shrugging:t2: learning as i go! at least i tend to keep making new mistakes instead of repeating old ones :rofl::woman_shrugging:t2:

you can see where my cgm was like ok b*tch iā€™ll be back when you get your poop together (the graph sort of edited itself after the fact so it looks even weirder here.) there are some weird import errors period (i recorded a run not a walk! and a lot of time stamps donā€™t look rightā€¦) but i verified the huge highs on a real meter. i was struggling with getting the correction right in both directions, and the highs appeared after the run which was new to me. i have not usually seen sugar that elevated period since starting insulinā€¦total roller coaster yesterday, highs, lows, poorly attempted correctionsā€¦ :grimacing::woman_shrugging:t2::rofl:

tl;dr i did the run, the meter popped low during and i took sugar, i got home feeling fine and took a shower and tuned out for a while, and shortly after got a cgm alarm and realized i was through the roof. i donā€™t have a good excuse: the delay also confused me. i just kind of goofed up yesterday i guess, but i hit it on all cylinders today.

yesterday was a serious outlier and i remain baffled tbh, but today i didnā€™t repeat whatever caused it at least. thereā€™s reasons to conclude that my oatmeal at 6:00am was not to blame for a spike that hit after 9:00ā€¦rightā€¦?

2 Likes

Yesterday was the outdoor one, right?

There is a little bit of difference on outdoors vs treadmill. When you are at home on a treadmill you are safe, you have everything with you. No excitement, just running. Your body lean is a little less - you are more upright, and your calves work a little harder. No wind resistance, but also no wind cooling.

But mentally there is less stress because there are no ā€œunknownsā€.

Outside there is weather, a lot of unknowns - do you have enough stuff with you?!?, will I be able to make sure I get back home safe, uneven terrain, wind in your face, etc, etc.

So it is possible the mental stresses of being outside hit you a little bit too. I donā€™t know for sure if that was it, but just something to consider.

You might spike in your race because of the mental stress of it too. Donā€™t worry, we will get there.

Here, this is a useful summary of hormones that can do this and how they work differently. This is not a medical description, just an overly-simplified explanation.

2 Likes

thank you: this part sort of feels more art than science. and yes: i will get there!!! :heart: you are right i was a little nervous about running outside - this was my biggest attempt outdoors since a very, very terrifying low that sent me exclusively to my treadmill for a while for all the reasons you list. that could very well play a role.

2 Likes

Hey speed-reader lawyer, did you read it? Does that make sense?

2 Likes

now i did, and yes. it does. :+1:

2 Likes

Quick pop-quizā€¦

If it was hormones that caused your spike yesterday, (donā€™t know for sure if it was, but just supposing it was hormones), was it cortisol or adrenaline?

1 Like

i would guess adrenaline, because it seemed to follow an event that directly triggered fear and action, rather than being anticipatoryā€¦? i know i felt fear when that low number came up, but i took glucose so iā€™m not sure i felt threatened beyond sort of the ā€œwhoa oh noā€ moment because i knew i had supplies to address it. i did though not seem to go high during the run: i finished feeling pretty good all around actually. i spiked after it was over. so hormonally if that was the cause, it could be both but it seems like adrenaline was probably the main culprit, likely teed up with some cortisolā€¦?

2 Likes

It is a bit of a trick question because everything is always working all the time.

We burn both fat and carbohydrates pretty much all the time, just in varying percentages of the two.

The non-D body is always releasing both insulin and glucagon, pretty much all the time. But what matters is the amount of each. Doctors refer to this as the I:G (insulin:glucagon) ratio.

And cortisol and adrenaline (and all itā€™s friends and aliases - norepinephrine/noradrenaline and epinephrine/adrenaline) are also always working in conjunction.

But in the example above, I would say that was more cortisol. Adrenaline is when you are running intervals and your RPE is 8.

But you know your body, so you know how hard it was and if it was physical.

This is really overly-simplified, but letā€™s just say it like this - if it is from stress in your head, itā€™s cortisol. If itā€™s from stress in your body, itā€™s adrenaline.

Here is a reference link:

2 Likes

ok then it was mostly mental, so i had it backwards and i revise my answer to cortisol :rofl:. physically i had a good run and felt good, or thought i did. so that piece would be down to headspace in this case if stress hormones are to blame. stressing myself out and getting in my own way: yet another area i where have a high ceiling for improvement :+1::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When you do this enough, you will eventually get to a point where there is no mental stress.

2 Likes

you are probably right that more experience will improve my mental game. i have officially had diabetes for almost six months now, and got the right diagnosis (strong suspicion i had been misdiagnosed is partly what brought me here) about seven weeks ago in early february, with the doctors finally making it official (and giving me the right treatments, instead of just telling me to try harder or something) within the last few weeks. so maybe more experience will help: i am a true newbie (i havenā€™t even had a full two months working with fast acting, itā€™s been about a month and a half that iā€™ve had that in my toolkit, at first they only gave me lantus and metformin) so i may be being a little hard on myself, getting in my head because it feels like a lot of new stuff. i suppose some nerves are natural when something is such a recent change and new skill set with such large potential consequences.

patience is also not my strong point!!! :sweat_smile: thank you for the reminder: i keep expecting my body to do what it did for the first 37 years, and that is off the menu but still a mental shift. a person starts to make a lot of default background assumptions about herself after three and some decades, and i have to retrain those expectations :woman_shrugging:t2: (and sometimes i donā€™t even know i am making them until they bite me in the sugary rear!!!)

practice makes progress.

4 Likes

(i feel like some of that was confusing so to clarify: first diagnosed 9/25/2023 in the ER, my doc #1 was an FNP who told me i was type2, and gave me metformin and lantus and told me to make lifestyle changes and eat low carb. even monitoring myself like a hawk, making every effort with walking after eating, eating very very low carb, drinking lots of water to prevent dehydration, etc, i was obviously still getting a lot of highs, so she thought i wasnā€™t compliant, thought i was insulin resistant, and kept increasing my dose of lantusā€¦ i didnā€™t know any better so i just kept taking more. lots and lots of basal, with no bolus, and some of this time metformin mixed inā€¦ you are all smart enough to guess where this leads, it was a tangle of crazy highs and horrifying overnight lows. things came to head when she peaced out for four weeks with no warning during the holidays, leaving me taking far too much basal, and now totally out of any insulin at all, with what would turn out to be a wrong diagnosis, and no way to reach her (for what would prove literally weeks). i was just getting worse and worse and when i couldnā€™t even reach her at all, that was it. i switched providers at the end of december after trying to reach her for a week: i grabbed the first appointment i could find on a telehealth platform just to get an emergency insulin Rx called in to my pharmacy, begged the guy (doc #2) to order autoimmune testing until he agreed albeit with a french fry lecture, and then i started looking around the internet for better options for a doctor, never spoke to the FNP again, went searching for community and more information, and ta-da!!! i got lab results with very low c peptide on february 7th, joined FUD on february 9th, got proper autoantibody tests ordered and the results a couple weeks ago, and the rest has happened here at FUD.)

4 Likes

The only thing you canā€™t do is make insulin. Give it enough time, and you will do everything else better.

4 Likes

ā€¦you mean we can rebuild me, we have the technologyā€¦? :wink::grin:

(i might like movies and trivia just a littleā€¦)

3 Likes

How do you know that one if you are 37 years old?

2 Likes

because i am a historian by degree, and a cinephile (including television) for fun :rofl::woman_shrugging:t2:

my dad is also a huge scifi nerd. my bedtime authors were tolkien and heinlein, and his tv and movie preferences skewed similarly toward fantasy and starscapes. my mom however did not love the scifi channel! :rofl: she would make him go watch his shows on the smaller tv in the other room. and so dad and daughter time! our cat nikki would come along and we would all watch star trek or classic reruns or whatever together. it was a special treat to get to stay up late for the classic reruns and so on with him. i developed a lifelong affection for an entire genre in the process.

edited to add this footnote: my first childhood celebrity crush was actually levar burton. why? because he was in star trek AND reading rainbow!!! as a little kid i was seeing him on both at the same timeā€¦ how could you top that?!!! :heart::joy:

3 Likes