Overheated Tresiba?

Has anyone tried overheated Tresiba? I heard about a possible DKA incident possibly caused by someone using slightly overheated Tresiba. By the way, my Levemir worked for a over a year after I started on my pump. I was carrying it in my purse (room temp) and using it occasionally at night when my site went bad. It doesn’t seem to work now… after over two years, even the vial I kept in the fridge.

2 Likes

Note: I made this a new thread, and also split the Levemir info into a new thread as well.

1 Like

I could ship some Tresiba to whomever would be interested in doing the experiment. We can’t do it right now because my son’s basal is all over the place.

1 Like

Just want to mention, doing an experiment with basal insulin has much more negatives to it.

If you test a vial of rapid, you know very quickly if it is good or bad, and can correct with a snack and be back to normal very soon. But testing basal can have effects that last for the whole day, and with Tresiba, for 2 days.

Is it completely bad, is it somewhat diminished, is it perfectly fine? It takes a while to figure those things out with a basal.

2 Likes

Very true, Eric!!! I wasn’t recommending it! The story I heard about was scary! Mainly wondered if anyone else had experienced possible denatured Tresiba…

1 Like

I think @Sam is your guy to explore this topic. I think he has more time with Tresiba than anyone else here. My use of it has been limited. I didn’t like it!

1 Like

Haven’t had any problems with it myself… and I don’t really particularly baby it either… but I don’t live in an overly hot climate

1 Like

The story I heard involved a car heater, Sam, so beware.

1 Like

Lol, if my car’s heater ever starts working I’ll exercise due caution

2 Likes

Never tried and always try to keep Tresiba in a cool environment but don’t baby it as @Sam said.

3 Likes

I live in a very hot climate but since I use it only at bedtime I keep it in my air-conditioned house all the time (unopened pens I keep in the fridge)

1 Like