"Car baked" insulin. An experiment for Irish

Not to mention the rush of knowing that insulin is way more robust from freezing and heating.

I am sorry to say, I got a little rush when I pushed the plunger on my son with the 4 units of previously frozen insulin. Probably not as much as that letter opener though, I may have to try that.

4 Likes

Yeah, and I held the wrong end of the chain saw. And now I’m retired.

NOT!

3 Likes

My guess is that the odds of the insulin going bad do go up the worse the storage conditions. And when you have a ton of variability to deal with, why add another element?

3 Likes

I love this experiment because it makes me feel better about storage! I won’t feel so stressed when we go on vacation. Thanks, @Eric: I love your experiments!

But I am not going to stop using the fridge and taking precautions though :slight_smile: I feel like @TiaG : it is hard enough to figure out what is going wrong when your kid’s BG is going all over.

1 Like

Absolutely, I think storing insulin in a fridge is best. No reason to leave it in your car! :slight_smile:

I am simply trying to put minds at ease. When you carry insulin around a few hours in the airport or whatever, it’s fine. That was the reason for the demo.

3 Likes

I agree and have found similar results. When I was first diagnosed (42 years ago) I was told to keep insulin cold and did at first but eventually found that it wasn’t necessary. I will routinely keep the vial that I am using at room temperature and will use it until it is used up, which is long past the 30 day or so that is recommended. And when traveling I don’t worry about leaving my unopened vials un-refrigerated even in tropical climates like Central America, though I do try to keep them out of direct sunlight and heat (i.e. in my hotel room).

I will say that I am surprised by your result with car baked insulin; the only time I thought I had damaged my insulin was after a similar (inadvertent) test, but based on my experience I find it easy to believe.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @jag1!

You have some of the longest seniority in the community: I think only @docslotnick and @Eric beat you. You should add your years to this thread: once we top 1,000, @Michel promised to buy beer (or non-intoxicants) to everyone for a whole evening in the next FUD meet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. I just added my number - when beer is involved I’ll react quickly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Eric, you are wonderful! I was thoroughly entertained! And your experiment yielded some surprising results- really surprising. Thanks for being our resident guinea pig.

5 Likes

Would it be a violation of the TOS to say … Dude - you are Nuts !!!
[I mean that in the best possible way]

Quite the amusing post but on the serious side - very interesting. I may not be able to take that leap of faith for my child but I certainly appreciate your efforts and posting !!!

4 Likes

It is not a violation of the TOS, since we already know that Eric is nuts, but he is a really good nuts!

You may also find this one interesting re: our frozen insulin experiment which was inspired by good crazy Eric.

2 Likes

Dang. It is like tryouts for Myth Busters.

3 Likes

I am also remiss in not saying Welcome!! Really glad you are here and contributing.

2 Likes

Yeah - Eric pulled me over.
lol

2 Likes

I know you would not want to do that with your child’s insulin! And I do not recommend it for anyone.

But the joy of this site for me is that we can share information without having to worry about someone waving the “finger of doom” in our face when we do something that is not standard. It’s just about sharing information without judgement. That’s what makes it a great place. Glad you could join us!

Make sure to introduce yourself here:
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/welcome-introduce-yourself-here/

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Overheated tresiba?

@Eric- thank you for performing this experiment! I won’t be so stressed when I am out in warm weather. A big thank you for helping us put our minds at ease! Whew. We could be hiking, just enjoying the day/activities and to have to worry about our insulin? It could put a damper on things. Not any more.

Have you,or anyone tried a similar experiment on the test strips? I recall when I travelled not long ago to the Far East during one of the hottest heat waves, I was beside myself from worrying about the insulin and the test strips.

I have left test strips in a hot car for months with no problem. Heat is not an issue.

But what kills teststrips is the humidity!

2 Likes

Humidity also kills ketostix

3 Likes

That’s good to know.

Agent Maxwell Smart may have said, “The old humidity kills the test strips trick.”

Thanks.

2 Likes