Oops, I did a dumb thing

Or unless you’re sleeping and have noone else listening to alerts?

I’ve never had a problem with severe lows caused by basal. Then again I’m on the basal of the future;)

1 Like

Well, if you’re still in the testing phase of the right dose, basal alone can certainly cause lows - at least in Toddlers. Perhaps in older people not so much.

What is that? I thought it was only your bolus that was special?

I’m not allowed to say because all the parents of kids on pumps get mad even though it’s approved for pediatric use for kids younger than any other basal. Oh wait you’re a Canadian… it may have just been in the news there

Kidding. Tresiba is the only basal I’ll use.

Basal lows during night are a huge deal. I would expect people on this forum by their nature would not have the typical problems a larger and more general population would.
Simply by seeking out, joining and participating in such a forum indicates (IMHO) a higher level of dedication to improvement than is likely going to be found generally.

The entire reason the UHC gave for the UHC/Medtronic conclusion deal was in regards to the basal cut-off.
The next update that Tandem will be delivering is also the basal cut-off.

It is a pretty big deal to be able to have a pump automatically stop delivering basal when a cgm indicates that a low is imminent.

1 Like

I may be stealth but I am not THAT stealth. Canada is fun to visit. I am not about to emigrate however. I very much enjoy being in the USA.
:slight_smile:

It’s a pretty big deal to me to not have a mechanical pump dumping rapid acting insulin into my body if I am prone to lows;)

EH and I play that game at every meal. (Well, we did for the ten years before now when his insulin needs massively changed to the point where nothing is working anymore.) But, yah, it’s the part of dinner where we both shout out random numbers. Totally by instinct, was often correct. I believe @Eric rightly refers to it as The Force. (Can’t find that thread despite twenty minutes of looking.)

I agree with Sam, and Eric, and anybody else who said that it’s worth practicing your best guess and seeing how you wind up. Because someday, you’re going to need to just eat something, and not weigh it. You’ve got this. You just don’t know you’ve got it yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter and I also play the carb guessing game.
We are usually very close to each other’s guess.

However some stuff is just easier to weigh and not bother with the guessing.
Like Ice Cream. So much easier to just weigh it and be done. Then enjoy.

This one?
https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/i-used-the-force-on-an-ethiopian-dinner/2107

1 Like

That’s a good point. I hate ice cream because scooping it is messy. I recently bought some Mango and Cream popsicles from TJ’s when I was shopping for the macrons everyone was excited about (which, by the way, are not GF, they’ve got glucose syrup that’s wheat based). The bonus is the popcicles are already portioned and they will not make my hands sticky (and they’re GF!). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Close, but no cigar. I thought there was a different one about Eric using the force. But maybe I made that up. I need to go look on the computer. Thanks tho!

2 Likes

Perhaps a new ice cream scooper would give you a new outlook?
Life is too short for bad scoopers…

1 Like

Good point! It’s actually on my replacement list as I broke our little one making cookies last winter. Gotta get a new one for holiday baking!!! Thanks for the reminder! (although, I do distinctly recall last January’s A1C being remarkably high because of all of the cookies that I had baked and that we had eaten. Ooops!)

Yes! That’s the one! The one that doesn’t use the figure of speech “the force” anywhere in there! Ha ha ha! No wonder I couldn’t find it.

It’s in there. You have to listen…

25-amazon-gift-card-to-the-first-person

I’ve had incredibly persistent lows (not dangerous-feeling, just like, constant 50s-60s despite treating) when I change my activity level on Tresiba (like on the trip to Paris I just returned from, when I was walking constantly all day long, every day, enough so that I could eat high carb and feed my basal and still sometimes go low, even though I lowered it from 16u to 12u)—it’s fine for me bc my activity level is generally consistently low, but if it were highly variable day to day, I would personally not be able to use it. (Others’ use may vary—I would not expect it to work like it does for @Sam for everyone though.) It’s challenging in part because it takes a couple of days to adjust your dose—likewise I was running high all day long for two days as my body caught up to my returning to my normal dose (16u). Hoping today I’m back to normal.

1 Like

It’s worthwhile for someone to try. I tried it. I figure, if you are gonna have the disease for your whole life, why not try everything?!?

For me, the issue comes down to basal adjustment, and whether you need it or not. If you are consistent in what you need for basal everyday, it’s a great basal. If your activity changes and your basal changes from one day to the next, there are problems with it.

1 Like