One of these things is not like the other - A discussion of CGM and Meter accuracy

So, Eric. I just have to ask what’s the full story about the photo of the two BG meters and the CGM.

My guess is that you had a rising BG, it leveled off a bit and then started running higher, so you took a nice big IV bolus and 5 minutes later your BG was around 103-105 but the CGM hadn’t picked up this sudden change because of the lag in measurements of interstitial fluid, which gave you a good opportunity to take an outrageous photo. The problem, of course, is that folks who don’t know you and don’t know better could draw a wrong conclusion from the photo depending on the true explanation behind what we’re seeing in the photo.

What’s the full story about this CGM graph climbing steadily from 50 to 167? Did it turn sharply down 15 - 30 minutes after the photo was taken? I find it hard to believe that the CGM shows your BG rising for nearly an hour, from 50 to 167, if you were just hanging out at a nice steady 103. What really happened?

1 Like