Omnipod Musings

I’m on the Omnipod courtesy of FUD, so to make you guys really regret engaging in such kind actions, I figured I would start up a thread with a little of reflection of my Omnipod experience as I mosey along. It will be painful (and likely ignored) by those of you who know what you’re doing with your own pods, but that’s okay. As you likely do with many of my posts, you’re welcome to skip them. :smiley: Maybe for people who are new to it as well, or even just considering, it will contain something they can use. Not from my own information, but from the corrections and additions that surely will follow.

So I’m due to change today, and thanks to the the information gathered here (and extra help from Eric), I have a plan. I’m to be at a party with my children, if all goes as planned, right at my 72 hour mark. Because I understand that it will really go to 80 hours, and not a minute past, I have my first big decision: to change the pod before I go or to let it remain until the evening. A procrastinator (and insulin-saver) by nature, I’m tempted to put it off until I return, but that means I’ll be heading into night by the time I get my second pod set up. Which is probably not the smartest decision. I’ll wrap this up then and get it done before we leave.

I’ve gotten lots of great recommendations for placement and have decided to use Beacher’s list as a rotation guide, but I think I’m going to try the trap area next as I’ve already recommended it to another friend. Because it seems I do that— recommend things without having tried them. :smiley: Honestly, my first pod placement was so painless that this would be the time to try something truly new. I’m not likely to do it after my first “speared” experience.

What else? I love it so far. It’s been very easy to navigate, the first placement was painless, and my blood sugar, with the exception of late night—diabetic error— stuff :roll_eyes: has been great. I’ve also loved the showers and heading off down the road without having anything attached.

I’ve adjusted two basal rates so far as Eric sent me a pre-programmed PDM. His numbers have been excellent, but I have had to dial back a little during two periods. Since joining FUD, I’ve been able to recognize a pattern that I’ve never noticed before, and that is my late night/overnight extreme hyperglycemia after eating something that doesn’t usually cause it. I just never recognized it until seeing it appear across all different management approaches— MDI, 670G auto mode and manual mode, and now Omnipod. I mention this because now that I understand that my late night snacks are way more problematic than I once thought, I can also understand that too heavy a basal rate during the late afternoon and early evening sets me up for a crash/rebound combination during that tricky period. This is neat knowledge. This is the kind of stuff I’ve learned here. So I have scaled back my basal rates from 5 pm to 8 pm from 1.5 to 1.25. I have no idea if it’s the right adjustment, but I’ve got good enough justification, and, if it’s not, I can revisit and tweak again.

Quick aside: I used to go to my endocrinologist with a couple of numbers and a whole lot of explanation and sit quietly in the office while she figured out what might work best for me. Those days are gone. I’m going to start charging her. :smiley:

ANYWAY. About the Omnipod. Here is my less than impressive night, but I’ve already made some adjustments and am hopeful that I’ll see improvement today.

7 Likes

Didn’t you guys have a whole thread mocking my site suggestions? I suggested the trap with that picture of the guy with the blue dot.

Try it, I like it.

Sure, adjust and tweak and do all of that. But just to mention - if you recall this chat we had a few days before I sent it - I made the basal a bit higher during that time to help you with dinner.

When you have a strong basal foundation, and start dropping a bit right when you eat, you’d be amazed what you can get away with at the dinner table! :wink:

:+1: :smiley:

1 Like

We did. I laughed for hours. :grin:

Was that you? Who recommended that? :rofl:

I do recall, and I’m also just learning about myself that I do love a heavy basal. I also know I love a late night snack. Trying not to have a crash run into snack time… because bad things happen in the pantry when that occurs. The stuff of which nightmares are made.

I love this and had no idea this was a thing. I’m sure it’s not this simple, but it has occurred to me recently that the difference in basal can mean the difference in amount of snacking… If I like snacking here and there without having to constantly watch all of my numbers, go heavier. If I’m more concerned with my pants size, scale it back.

How’s that? Oversimplified and wrong? :grin:

2 Likes

Glad to hear it’s going well for you!! :blush:

2 Likes

Glad it’s going so well for you, and glad you have a grip on making adjustments.

Just remember to give those basal adjustments a bit of time before you change them again. There are so many other variables beyond food/insulin that changing the basal because of a one-time problem, or even a pattern over a few days, can often be unwarranted. Rule out other factors before you conclude the basal is the problem.

I dunno. Sounds like that’s using basal to cover food, which can be risky. Once you’re comfortable with your tweaked basals, test them by not eating. You should stay level. (You know this.) Then when you want to snack, use BOLUS. (You know that, too.)

Never. One can always learn from others’ mistakes others’ experiences. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for looking out, @Beacher. You are absolutely right, and I didn’t jump as fast as it may have appeared. I actually knew going into it that my basals were pretty agressive, which I wanted, but two days of that kind of crashing, and I figured it was a good place to start. I think tonight’s been better, which can continue to be true as long as I don’t look at my graph and see otherwise. :smiley:

Oh good! I’ve got plenty of material for you then. :smiley:

[EDIT by @Michel : edited to split a thread: Using a higher basal than we absolutely need: one more treatment option]

2 Likes

26 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should we use a higher basal than we absolutely need?

10 posts were split to a new topic: Omnipod questions: managing temp basal, and insulin rtank eserve

Quick question… Is there a place in the menu where I can pull up information about how much insulin I have left in my pod? I feel like the information is always at the top of the screen, but I would like to check it now as I thought it should be empty… but it’s not.

At the very top, on the left, on the home screen, it shows either “>50U”, or the exact number of units (when it is less than 50) until a very low number (I don’t remember exactly what, but I think 5—Eric told me once), or, if you are really close to empty, it shows nothing.

1 Like

Thank you, @Michel! I was down to nothing, but there was no indication it had run out. Turns out it was because it hadn’t run out. :grin:

1 Like

I’m down to my last 2 pods… and am all sorts of sad at the idea of moving on. I keep telling myself I’m just pump-tasting, and goodbye is not forever… and then still feel sad. :grin:

Regardless. There’s been a lot to tend to over the last few days, but I wanted to put this in here before it all fades from memory…

1. Butt pods. You guys really, really seem to like your butt pods. So I tried one, and I’m not sold. My main problem is that I bumped everything with it, and I wonder if I didn’t actually knock it a little loose. I also had difficulty with my pants as I usually roll over the top of mine, and it seemed to rest up against my pod, possibly making the whole thing worse. So on the next round, if there is one, I’ll have to ask for placement ideas first to see if I can’t get better results.

2. I’m not sure why I’m numbering these. Everything seemed to fit in number one. :grin:

Today my blood sugar began to rise around 2 or 3:00 in the afternoon. Prior to the rise, I had come home, eaten some chips, bolused generously with an IM shot, and then proceeded to have a coffee. I even did a second IM bolus for that (and to cover the chips I didn’t cover in the first). My blood sugar started at around a 130 and continued to rise all the way to almost 400 by about 5:30 pm. I did an additional IM shot as a correction around 4:30 but didn’t see any improvement. I am not positive I was getting insulin either way though—- through pump it injections— as I may have been losing insulin through a leak? And may have been filling my syringe with air. I was at the end of my vial, tired, and filling my syringe without my glasses. I filled it 3 or 4 times under those conditions for a total of maybe 10 units of insulin and can’t believe I could’ve gotten any of it with the way I continued that steady, uninterrupted rise.

Anyway. Theories, theories, theories. Lesson: next time just put on the glasses and eliminate one possible cause.

2 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, these problems must be some of the more frustrating. You never really get to their root and so you can remain eternally dissatisfied :slight_smile:

I have come to accept them though! I have finally figured out that we just need to deal with them matter of factly and move on. I keep the latest ones in the back of my mind in case we get to an eventual explanation (I actually write them down now in a D diary, so I can find their BG environment again if I need to) but, somehow, I am miraculously able to let them go, thanks to the many hints I have gotten here that it is the only way you can deal with such events in the long run :slight_smile:

My son never had a problem letting them go!

3 Likes

If your BG is too high you need more insulin. All those thoughts about what went wrong just confuse the issue. Sure it’s a good practice to try to understand what happened and extract some lessons learned, but in any case what to do is simple and it always works: just keep taking more and more insulin (through diverse routes) until the BG turns down, and then keep watching to see if you’ll need more insulin or glucose to land at a good level.

Over Thanksgiving I was watching the CGM to surf on top of LOOP (by adjusting my estimate of how much carb I ate) and as the BG went from 160 up and up I kept taking insulin via pump, IM here, IM there, IM somewhere else. I finally turned down after an hour and a half plateau at 400, and got back to 100 about 3 hours later with the assistance of a couple more boluses and some final glucose. Between half pumped insulin and half IM insulin I ended up taking about 4x as much as I think I should have needed. I’m pretty sure the underlying problem was a failed site; after all the correction insulin wore off and I think the digestion was all done (i.e., fat and protein) I started rising steadily again, smelled insulin when I wiped the site, and changing the site fixed it.

It’s frustrating, but what to do is straightforward. Take more insulin. Just like you did.

2 Likes

Usually mine are more on the back than the side, so they don’t get bumped, though my last one was more on the side, I guess what’s called the hip, and it did get brushed a couple of times. And I put them higher up, just under where a guy’s briefs waistband is. I have some vague notion that women’s underwear is or can be differently shaped, so you may have to go above the waistband, depends. And no, I am not posting photos, but this pic is pretty spot-on with my preferred butt pod area.

insulin%20injection%20sites

Why move on?

2 Likes

I know you said other more important things, but… why does that guy look awkward and like he’s busted?? :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

funny @Nickyghaleb … I saw the picture and immediately thought of the game “pin the tail on the donkey” I always was the weird one…sigh

4 Likes

Heh-heh. I also noticed his index fingers have blue dots. Does he pod there? OMG, is it @Eric?

4 Likes

You just revived the Eric joke… I’m outta here, @Beacher. Good luck to you. :grin:

1 Like

Not exactly proud of the fact I can’t look at a diabetic device diagram without laughing at the butt. I get you, @elver. You’re not the only weird one. :grin:

3 Likes