Using a higher basal than we absolutely need: one more treatment option

Well, greater risk for hypoglycemia could be sufficient reason. But if not …

My understanding – and heck, I could be wrong – is that the basal meets the needs of the body in the absence of food. When you breathe, when your heart beats, when you move, when your eyes move, when you type, all that requires the burning of energy, which requires insulin. If you have more insulin than you need for those basic functions of being alive, then you crash.

Life, as you know all too well, is not regular and predictable. If you have a higher-than-needed basal to allow for food, what happens if something comes up that prevents you from eating? You have a problem. Which is why I find it easier and safer to bolus for food, even if I’m grazing and it means microboluses. Yes, it means time given over to carb counts and dose calculations, but for me that’s better than constantly feeding a basal that’s too high, which translates into eating when I don’t want to eat and also gaining weight.

Yes, the waiting can be a pain, and I don’t always do it that well either, especially in the morning. But when I do wait, and see the much better results, it kinda spurs me on to do it more often.

When you graze, do you carb count what you’re eating? Or do you just hope in the end it matches your basal?

5 Likes