Omnipod DIY Loop

2nd day with Omnipod Loop. My personal recommendations as Parent of T1…

1. Start with open loop first, tweak settings using autotune online (autotuneweb.azurewebsites.net)
    before you start closed loop.

2. Keep Riley Link close to bedside but phone can be further away.

3. If you are nervous about the system giving too much insulin at night, set the maximum basal to current basal so you still get the suspend threshold benefits in closed loop if it goes too low.

4. Phone battery drains faster, so make sure you have access to remote power if you are not home.

5. Don’t fully trust the projections. Think of them as the Spock suggestions to your own Kirk intuitions. The projections will change over time.

6. Start with a higher baseline target until you are more confident, then move it lower.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, Bradford! I set my basal at 3x the highest rate as per the setup recommendations, but I may tweak them as per your suggestion. I do worry about the RL being close enough, but from what those on the FB group say, as long as it’s sitting on the nightstand beside the bed, everything should be OK - we’ll see.

Also, I looked at the autotune, but since I have different carb ratios and insulin sensitivity factors in Liam’s profile, it doesn’t look like it will work for us. It only works with single I:C and ISFs.

2 Likes

The biggest change in my life is the ability to see all of the information in real time when I am at work and he is at home. Typically if his sugar was dropping, I would frantically call to make sure his low was being treated. Now I can easily see how many carbs were eaten and when. A huge quality of life improvement!

3 Likes

I set mine up at 2x maximum basal rate because I wanted to start off cautiously. But I may change that as I become more confident in the system.

Omg yes. I’m like you… Calling and texting every phone and every social media option that I can just to find out it was taken care of…I just didn’t have visibility into it so spend long periods of time each day I’m in the office worrying when I get no responses.

This will eliminate my uncertainty. So excited about this as well!

1 Like

I’m sure my wife appreciates me not having to call her all the time as well.

3 Likes

Ditto. My wife is always very busy which is why she doesn’t always answer… But that doesn’t help my wondering brain. Lol

2 Likes

My wife was/is skeptical about using Loop and her mom thinks I’m just crazy. “A non FDA approved app created by strangers on the internet?”… Something about putting your son’s life in the hands of an algorithm… Not to say that I have 100% faith, but just like anything, there are risks and rewards for doing it and not doing it.

1 Like

Diabetes is inherently risky. I personally would trust the DIY community who has nothing to gain but helping others live higher quality lives, more than I would corporate America who is out for…profits.

4 Likes

There are people who use Afrezza and Loop. The simplest approach is to keep Loop running closed, but not enter any carbs you expect are covered by Afrezza. Let Loop pick up the slack, and make any corrections as need be.

2 Likes

IMG_20190525_104326_01

Really appreciating what Loop can offer…

6 Likes

That’s just stunning. Is it almost always like that?

Well, I thought I was meeting with my MD last week but for some reason we didn’t connect and when I got there, only his NP was available. We talked about several things, and she thought I’d be a good candidate for Afrezza, but they don’t do the lung test to get it. They also don’t approve of ANYTHING not cleared by the FDA so absolutely NO on the loop. Wife is also not convinced, so I guess I will have to wait. When is the FDA version of Omnipod DASH loop coming out?

In the mornings, yea. It’s a lot harder when you add in variables like carbs and exercise.

3 Likes

Decided to do it anyway. They never said flat no at the endos, and reports will still be the same as will using Omnipod and Dexcom g6 which ARE FDA approved so the only piece that is not is the software (loop). Ordered the RileyLink Today as well as a iPhone SE 32GB unlocked with 2 year squaretrade warranty for about $100 on ebay. Getting excited!

Had some setup questions that i started a new thread on if anyone cares to help.

3 Likes

what insurance do you have?!?!?!?!

I myself have United Health Care through my work.

Been looping now for a good 6+ months and absolutely LOVE it!

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting an older Mac mini off Amazon; I don’t need yet another screen or keyboard. However I wonder how much DRAM I need to compile the Xcode in question. So far as I could see by skipping through stackexchange and other sites the Xcode compiler is a resource hog; it sounds like some people with older machines couldn’t get usable performance with the latest versions because of excessive paging (always a potential problem with UN*X).

How much DRAM are people using, and what is the build time?

All the specifications required are in loopdocs. If it’s not stated as a minimum requirements then i don’t think there is one. I’m not sure how much mine has.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s here (as a PNG image for some reason):

That includes the MD387LL/A, which was apparently introduced on October 23, 2012. There is an Amazon renewed instance of this available for $252. That thing has 4GByte of memory, and there doesn’t seem to be an option from that time of any Mac mini with more than that; the next step up is to 8GByte in 2014. Despite that this model can be upgraded to 16GByte (for an additional $55).

So I guess that option is safe; if it starts paging with 4GByte I’m sure moving to 16GByte would be ok because my gentoo-linux build machine has 64GByte and it has no problem running 16 builds in parallel, indeed, for the kernel I just run everything in parallel.

Anyway, the next step up to the 2014 release 7.1 machines jumps the price to about $500, and the current 8.1 machines start at $720 new and, anyway, the 7.1 machines can’t be upgraded (a definite negative in my view.)