Omnipod DIY Loop

Thanks. That’s very tempting. Need the other stuff first though. If I go with loop, unsure whether to order the rileylink first or the phone. Can only afford maybe one this Friday paycheck.

The longer you wait on the RL, the longer on the wait list you’ll get. If it were me, I’d order the RL first…the backlist is pretty long! Lots of options for compatible phones.

2 Likes

I agree. Order the RileyLink first, because it can take weeks and weeks for it to arrive. You can get a phone anytime you want one.

1 Like

I agree, I’d say go with the RileyLink first. I wish I was in line for this myself! Soon I hope!

I just got the coveted “RL has shipped” email today! SO freaking excited about this new chapter for Liam and our whole family.

3 Likes

So happy for you and Liam! Definitely keep us posted!

Does anyone know how long we have to enroll? With cash flow issues, I may not be able to start for a month or two. At the very least, I have to have funds to order rileylink and then get a cheap iPhone. Seeing my endo on Friday, so will have to ask him as well.

There is no time limit…you do this whenever you want. There isn’t any schedule, only one you set for yourself.

The only thing I plan to ask my Endo is to change my prescription BG meter strips from Freestyle to Contour. Since we’ll be getting away from using the PDM, I’ll have no more use for the Freestyle strips and plan to move to the Contour Next One meter.

I hear ya. My insurance only covers the One Touch series of strips. At one point I got a prior auth for Countour Next One but they went from 0 copay to $50 copay so not worth it.

My endo is great and we work well together. But I"m nowhere near ready to do everything myself and just have him be a script writer.

I’m hoping to get on Afreza on Friday. Originally i switched to him because he was on the list of approved physicians who wrote it, but he was very hesitant as it was still new and didn’t like anything inhaled. I hope he’s changed his mind.

Well, I guess if I go to this I can’t use afreza then though come to think of it because this will be closed loop once you get that far. Right?

2 Likes

You don’t have to stay “closed loop”. In theory, you could “open loop” during the day using Afrezza, then “closed loop” during the night letting loop drive.

1 Like

Makes sense. Would there be a way to stay open though and tell it I used afrezza to account for it?

I just like the idea of afrezza because it is super fast. Most of the time I forget to prebolus and then I go high for awhile until it kicks in. Don’t have to worry about that with afrezza.

That question is above my pay grade. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe someone else can answer that or you can ask that in the FB group and I know people will know over there!

Well, that’s part of the problem. At work I don’t have access to FB but doe this forum and others I’m on :slight_smile: Oh well. Thanks for the info.

No, I don’t think afezza is one of the insulins supported. Loop has a DIA setting that must be selected during configuration and it is based on the insulin one uses. However, you can add a customization for it in xCode. Customizations is described in detail in LoopDocs website.

1 Like

I have received the Riley Link, downloaded the loop app, and will be using Loop app with by Omnipod by the end of today.

5 Likes

@Bradford, will you also be using either Spike, or the xCode Reset App to extend the life of your transmitter? This is one of the things that has me so excited (immediately after a full nights sleep…first time in 3 years. lol)! :slight_smile: It will be nice not living “transmitter to transmitter” anymore.

I don’t have to. I somehow got an extra transmitter when I upgraded to G6, so I have one on deck at all times.

But you can save that one on deck. Possibly for as long as another 6 months or a year. :wink: I plan on saving up my ‘new’ transmitters and getting as much life as I can out of each transmitter. Just never know when one comes upon hard times!

1 Like

That’s for sure. Thank God I have excellent health insurance. I have high insulin needs, so my endo writes pods for DAILY change and also wrote for 2 transmitters every 90 days for my Dexcom G6 so I always have a backup and then some. I pay 0 copay/deductible for anything diabetic so I’m truly blessed.

The more I read, the more I get excited about loop . I love to try new things.

2 Likes

Wow, great insurance indeed!! I just started using the G6 and my first sensor failed after a few days. The transmitter is supposed to last 90 days once engaged, so you are indeed in a good position. Non engaged transmitters are supposed to last only 6 months.

I will probably use xdrip to reset it. I’ll see how it works. I want the signal to be stable, of course. It is especially important once one is on Loop. I experienced a couple of bad lows due to loss signal, and making poor decisions related to Loop. At least I experienced this early on in the first few days on both Loop and G6! :slight_smile:

1 Like