Omnipod DIY Loop

I bought a cheap(ish) Macbook air for $250. I spent $99 for the Dev license, and I spent $150 for the Riley Link. Besides a few misc costs, that was it (well, I did buy Liam an iPhone and an apple watch, but he didn’t “need, need” the watch…neither of us did. But it has WALKIE TALKIE!!! :stuck_out_tongue: )

There are ways to get it to work with Droid, but you’d have to check the FB group to see how. More complex.

Instead of buying a Mac, you can also set up a VM - info on how to do that is kind of in the FB group. Again, more complex.

3 Likes

@bpollina You don’t need the Apple Developer. You can use the free, personal certificate, but you would need to recompile and deploy the Loop app every 7 days. The developer allows you to install the app for a full year.

Also you can look for used iphones on ebay, etc. It does need to support OS 12+ at a minimum so that means iPhone SE and above.

Also some people use a VM on their Windows machine to compile Loop.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah, I decided to purchase the license because I didn’t want data disappearing on day 7…that would get old quick.

Also, with regards to the Macbook, you don’t have to OWN one, you just need to have access to one that you can use.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. How often would you say you’d need access to a mac? May be able to find a friend at church who has one. If they have developer, can I use theirs or is developer tied to the phone/user? Not at all familiar with anything apple.

1 Like

Whenever there’s an update, or, if you don’t buy a dev license, every 7 days. lol

1 Like

Dev license is tied to YOUR phone / account…can’t share.

I wasn’t at all familiar with it either, but I’ve gotten familiar over the past month due to Omniloop

Understand. How often on average is it updated? Days? Weeks? Months?

That, I don’t know. I do know they’re constantly adding new branches after they have been vetted thoroughly, so possibly pretty frequently, but again, I’m not certain. If you use FB, you should join the The Looped Group and ask your questions.

2 Likes

Thanks. Google gave me a few ideas for virtual machine. That may be the way to go. Looks like RileyLink is back ordered for now so may take them awhile to catch up. They are moving along though, so might not be so bad.

@Trying, sounds like you are coming from android land. What do you think about going Apple? What made you decide to try? What do you think? Were you familiar with anything apple before hand?

1 Like

@bpollina I’ve been following the omni developer group for a while so was really excited to hear it was ready for the public. I’m really excited about it. So far, my optism is deserved. I love it, but with all new tools, one needs to be extra careful setting it up and using it.

That is right, my preference is definitely Android. I am borrowing the iPhone SE and it basically is only used for Loop, Dexcom, and Health. I’m slowly installing other apps, too, like gmail. I only have data on it, no voice, so I continue to use my Android as main phone.

I think you will totally get used to the iPhone, Loop is worth it, your health is worth it!

1 Like

Thanks. Might I ask what service you went with for data only?How much data do you need for just loop? I love nightscout and definitely want ot keep that going. Running a 6.3 (from 6.0 3 months ago) A1C but my SD is too wild (too many highs and lows). Need to get that more under control. And I’m a gadget freek! I love new tools and systems.

1 Like

It’s good that you like Nightscout because that will be the main report app used with Loop. Lots of nifty info pills capable in Nightscout.

Yes, I use Nightscout as well. Loop has good integration with it, too. I also have poor SDs, but non-Diabetic A1c. My SD since starting Loop has been great around 18%! Unheard of pre-Loop.

I use Google Fi with just a data sim for the iPhone. Not sure how much data is required for NS but very nominal.

2 Likes

Thanks, my overall SD is 34% last 90 days with 11% low <80, 24% normal, and 21.1% high > 180. My A1C is also creeping up to a 6.3 from 6.0 as measured about a week ago. Ok, to summarize, if I do this I would need:

• Riley Link $149
  • Cheap Iphone like SE ($199 or so)
  • Cheap Apple computer/laptop or virtual machine on my PC
  • $99 Apple developer per year
  • Ideally cheeap data for nightscout uploads. Suggested Project Fi
  • standard original omnipods that I already have/use
  • lot of patience / wine or favorite adult beverage :slight_smile:

Am I missing anything?

This sounds fun, but I’m not sure I want to cary yet another device/phone and the riley link is back ordered right now.

2 Likes

Make sure your Macbook is capable of being upgraded to Mojave. Also, there are spec requirements for the phone, so make sure you check out LoopDocs before you purchase anything!

1 Like

This is from Katie (on March 28th)

About versions:

We are in another Apple update cycle. Here’s what you need to know about the cascade of info:

Apple released a new iPhone iOS 12.2 on Monday March 25th.

In order to build on an iPhone using iOS 12.2, you’ll need to use Xcode 10.2, also released on March 25th.

In order to use Xcode 10.2, your minimum macOS is now Mojave 10.14.3. So no more High Sierra compatibility.

And in order to build Loop in Xcode 10.2, you need to use a Loop download that is at least Loop v1.9.5, released yesterday March 27th to the master branch. Old downloads sitting in your downloads folder will not build in Xcode 10.2.

So when you decide to build Loop app, keep these minimums in mind. If you have iOS 12.2…update your macOS to Mojave’s 10.14.3 minimum (current is 10.14.4), then Xcode 10.2 will be available for download from the Mac App Store. Then you’ll be able to build Loop v1.9.5 master branch on that iPhone running iOS 12.2.

If you are trying to avoid all that updates…you can only hold out so long :rofl: do NOT use iOS 12.2 if that is your goal. Because as soon as you update your iOS, you lock yourself into the other updates as mandatory. If your Apple is old, and you’re concerned, start with checking out whether your Apple supports Mojave macOS before updating your iOS on the phone.

Brace yourselves…this begins another cycle of “what are these build errors?” that will be the result of people not updating to the new minimum versions.

2 Likes

Totally awesome. Did some googling and found an easy to install image. So I guess I can save some $$ by not worrying about buying an apple PC. Now have to find a cheap iPhone and wait in line for the RileyLink I guess. Are they ever on Ebay or is it not worth it to get one from ebay?

1 Like

You can build them yourself if you’re mechanically so inclined. I wouldn’t risk buying this device from anyone but the official RileyLink…but I haven’t checked eBay or anything like that.

Info about building your own RL can be found here.

There’s plenty to do while waiting for the RL. The list is here.

1 Like

Apple Watch Series 3 on sale today for $199.

2 Likes