Okay to use Expired OmniPod Pods?

I’ve searched to see if this has already been answered but could only find information on the 3 day expiration. I have a group member trying to find out if it’s okay to use her old pods that say December 2018 on them. My guess is it’s fine, but I also thought you guys were fine and see?

Joking… :thinking:

1 Like

Yes. They can be used. I’ve used them as much as 6-months expired and they’re fine and I believe others have done the same or even farther back.

3 Likes

Perfect. Thank you, sir. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

December isn’t that old, but I wouldn’t want to stretch it too long because …

Not sure if anyone has determined how old is too old.

3 Likes

@Eric, plz share your wisdom here. I’ve used expired ones fine but not sure how far back is safe given your comments on Battey life.

1 Like

Thank you, @Beacher. There were others who responded to her about batteries dying. I had no idea.

I used expired pods, too, not realizing it. These pods had a high failure rate, something like 40% of the box failed. I called Insulet and they confirmed that expired pods shouldn’t be used due to the high failure rate.

2 Likes

I have not kept any for a long time just for the sake of seeing if it would work, because I only started using them 2 1/2 years ago. :smiley:

I can tuck a few pods away, and then come back and revisit this subject in a few years after using them.

5 Likes

I used a whole box of pods that were 6 months expired and not a single one of them errored out. I guess I got really fortunate!

3 Likes

I just had three Day 1 pod failures (within first 24 hours) in a row. My pods were 26-28 days expired. I have now chucked the last eight pods with that expiration date because I’m tired of wasting insulin since I purposefully don’t recover the insulin out of the pods.

1 Like

Why purposefully ?

If they fail right away, I’ll recover it. If I’ve been working outside (hot), showered (heat exposure), swimming, etc with it on and had the pod on for close to a day or more, I let it go. I just try to limit my variables for the next pod/insulin load.

3 Likes

Well, one more thing to keep track of. I totally didn’t think about the pods expiring. I feel like we go through them – and we don’t have a lot of spares. But this was helpful! I’m sorry that you had to find out the hard way, but it is good to know.

1 Like