No-spike rice

I really enjoyed being able to serve a side dish that my GF husband and I can both enjoy!

2 Likes

Do you think that the basmati rice has a lower GI compared to glutinous sticky rice (that’s typically served in a Japanese restaurant)?

1 Like

Basmati rice is pretty low among the rices on glycemic index, in the 55 range. As for glutinous rice, the information on it is somewhat contradictory, possibly because of the rice’s different origins. Some publications place it in the high 80s (almost as fast as regular sugar), but others list it at the same level as white basmati. Weirdly, there does not appear to be much of a difference in GI between white and brown basmati.

For me, I would tend to believe that glutinous rice is quite high on the glycemic index.

1 Like

Anyone tried black rice? The Italian variety has 34 g carbs for 1/4 dry and is supposed to be less glutinous than Asian black rice varieties. My husband wants to make mushroom risotto with it. :yum:

2 Likes

[quote=“Michel, post:43, topic:2217”]
Basmati rice is pretty low among the rices on glycemic index, in the 55 range
[/quote]'ve noticed that the Basmati rice is very fluffy. When I look at it visually, it is a fluffier rice than Japanese short grain rice. A bowl weighs a lot less than 1 bowl of glutinous short grain rice. Perhaps I can feel like I’m having a lot of rice because it is fluffy. Do you all recall Wonder Bread? It was full of air.

2 Likes

I looked at my package of pre washed quinoa - 1/4 cup dry has 33 g of carbohydrates. That’s quite low compared to rice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How has the quinoa been working out for you? I had quinoa for dinner tonight, 33g carbs and so far the BG’s have been ok. I was at a nice 123 at 1.5 hours after bolus. About 3 hours after the bolus, I am at 141; not bad…however. There is the slow rise -
2 to 3 hours after dinner. I don’t quite understand this because I don’t have gastroparesis. The rise tend to occur when I eat pasta, rice, and in this case quinoa.

2 Likes

Maybe the higher proportion of protein??

1 Like

I considered the protein and the TAG. My dinner was 33g carbs of quinoa, therefore, I didn’t consider TAG. I was under the impression that TAG is a factor if low carb. Am I misinformed? The protein and fats would delay the carb absorption, in this case quinoa. That’s a realistic meal : most of my meals have a carb (bread, rice, pasta), meat/fish/chicken, vegetables, optional- Olive oil, cheese.

Lilian, your meals seem so well balanced that it would seem strange to me that you would need to use TAG to dose for them.

We don’t need to TAG dose a meal like you describe. In fact, the only time when we need to TAG is when we take huge quantities of protein or fat. But we all react so individually to dosing…

3 Likes

@Michel - I tend to agree that my meals seem balanced. I’m still a bit puzzled by the small slow rise more than 2 hours after my bolus. I wouldn’t call it a spike.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried refrigerating the rice overnight and reheating the next day? It’s supposedly to increase the resistant starch content. This attached article may not be the best one for rice. It does provide some information about resistant starch. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/16/ask-the-expert-legumes-and-resistant-starch/

2 Likes

I would love to know if that works.

Although, imho, it does not taste as good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I experimented tonight:

I’ve been eating 1 cup of quinoa for a few days always with some chickpeas and “meat”( chicken turkey, beef,…etc) Good BG at 2 hours. However…There was always the delayed rise after a few hours. I wanted to minimize my carbs, but always felt hungry… (Every meal there is green vegetables, but I tend to not count them because very minimal affect on carb count)

Then I came across some information that too much protein/fat could actually cause insulin sensitivity problems. So tonight, I had 1.25 C quinoa, reduced my meat portion (it was italian sausage),had much less chickpeas than previously- only 4g carbs of chickpeas (it was only 5 chickpeas). And some carrots. Total dinner carb count 44g. Bolused based on I:C 1:10. I did not prebolus because there was a little IOB (less than 1 unit) from a previous snack.

1. 5 hour BG : 131
    2 hour BG : 126
    3.5 hour BG : 130.

I hope that this may be a “discovery” for me:
It may be important for me to find the right amount of protein/fat for the correct amount of carbs.
Until tonight, i’ve always been thinking: minimize the carbs. However, insufficient carbs, made me hungry.
This would lead me to eat more meat/protein. Perhaps for me the correct balance is more quinoa to help me feel satiated and have lesser quantities of meat/protein.

Eating more carbs in the form quinoa initially was counter intuitive. However, so far, the BG numbers are not bad. Most of all, I don’t feel hungry. Has this happened to you?

1 Like

I meant to include this:

Pizza gives a number of us BG management trouble: high carb, high fat, cheese/ toppings (protein)
Chinese food can give us trouble too. High carb,high fat, high protein. It’s all the ratio and proprtion. I was told by relatives that ‘in the olden days…’ they ate mostly rice with very little meat/protein’ because animal protein was expensive compared to rice. In other words, large quantities of rice with a small quantity of meat would satiate the person.

What if, in our present society, for some of us, there is too much fat/protein for the carb? Somehow, the fat/protein interferes with our ability to deal with carbs?

I didn’t know how the experiment was going to turn out.
Maybe I would still be famished because I ate far less protein than customary. As it turned out - I did not have a rainbow cookie after dinner (I had one after lunch :slight_smile:) I felt like I had more energy, and less lethargic than from a ‘heavier’ ‘greasier’ meal.

I will update on additional experiments.

2 Likes

Tonight’s great quinoa experiment (no cheesecake or mini cannoli or rainbow cookies at dinner. I think these sweets are easier to deal with during the day time.) :
Pre dinner BG : 122
Dinner consisting of :
1 1/4 cup cooked quinoa 40 g
baby carrots 2 g
5 chickpeas 2 g
Fish, spinach, a slice of avocado 2
Total: 46g
I bolused 5.5 units; used I:C ratio of 1:9, and over bolused slightly. I did not pre bolus (the fish was going to be cold…I know).
2 hr. BG :167
4 he BG : 131
I took a half unit and will, hopefully, go to bed.

1 1/4 cup quinoa is “alot” for me because I’ve avoided and minimized carbs for a long time. To stay below 180 with such a satisfying quantity of quinoa is a big accomplishment for me. 1 1/4 cup! Not 1/2 cup, or 2/3 cup! Lunch was 1 cup. It was not satisfying and I was hungry. For dinner, Maybe I could have pushed the bolus to 6 units and the post dinner BG’s may have been lower. I have noticed that when I take more insulin, I become hungry. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Nice result. Seems like a good result.

1 Like

Yup - I agree about quinoa! I bolus less for quinoa than rice; and there is no delayed rise a few hours after the meal. @kenrick Do you buy the pre washed quinoa, or do you wash the quinoa.

1 Like

I go for the pre-washed, the big bag from costco!

2 Likes

I haven’t seen quinoa at my costco. In which section do you find your quinoa? Thanks!