No-spike rice

Well it tastes good, we shall see how the bg spike fairs. Thanks Michel for the pointer.

2 Likes

I hope he does not spike.

My second answer on that :slight_smile: I forgot to mention that it is possible that the olive oil may also play a role in dampening the spike. We have not tried without it. I may just have to test that.

[EDIT] I just re-read @Pianoplayer7008 's feedback - she has a good point, washing could well reduce the amount of starch/ carb. So possibly all the instructions make a difference.

2 Likes

Great tip on the brown rice! I’ll have to try it out.

I’ve mostly been eating quinoa instead of rice. The carb count is only a little lower than rice, but the glycemic index is a lot smaller so it is easier to bolus for it without a big spike.

4 Likes

We have also found that quinoa is very easy to dose for, for us.

1 Like

@Michel, Think this’ll work in a standard pot stovetop with that amount of water?

1 Like

It does work in a standard pot stovetop, we cooked it last night. Used 3x water (instead of 2x called for in the directions) and it cooked in 40 minutes just like any other brown rice. I will say that it did seem to be easier to control than regular rice, but it wasn’t magic or anything. It was tasty though, we used a bit of butter and olive oil as well as salt.

2 Likes

I used a regular pot for rice for many years, and still occasionally use one – I mostly switched to the rice cooker because I don’t need to look over it: I have burned rice in a pot countless times :slight_smile:

In the process, I have tried to compare the two often. I have never been able to get a reliable equivalence, I think because conditions in a pot are a lot less replicable than in a rice cooker.

Nonetheless, the rice I find easiest to do in a pot is brown basmati. It takes a lot longer to cook than most other varieties. In fact, some people say that you can’t cook basmati in a cooker, but I think it is because they don’t use enough water (it is AWFUL in a cooker with 2x water). I would expect you to need a little more water in a pot than in a cooker.

I use 3x water with brown basmati too (it’s jasmine I use 2x for). You might even try a bit more on a pot.

I am sorry :frowning: I wish it worked better for you!

I am curious – when you pre-bolus, do you eat on a timer or do you wait until you turn the corner?

Before I had the rice cooker, I would often cook rice in the oven. Due to burning it on the stove. lol
The oven seemed to make it much easier and I never had a problem with it burning.

With the rice cooker, whether it is white rice, jasmine, basmati, brown - I just put the rice in with the measuring scoop and add the water to the indicated line and push the button (although brown rice has a different button to press) and let the cooker do whatever it is that it does. I assume miniature elves inside that handle any complexities 'cause it seems to turn out perfect every time.

2 Likes

We wait for it to turn the corner when we have time. Last night we had time, so he rode his insulin down to 80, then we ate dinner. He had 3 oz of rice, some steak and salad. So in total his meal carbs were 35g. True to form he bounced up to about 200 before he turned the corner. Like I said, it was tasty, but Cody is very carb sensitive, so this was a much better response than he would have with regular rice.

2 Likes

That is a great trick, I should have thought of it, since I often use the oven on other dishes for the same purpose.

I find that, for us, different varieties of rice behave differently in terms of proportions to water. But that’s us :slight_smile:

@Chris, I wonder if Cody may benefit from this technique that @lh378 just mentioned:

We are very excited about it, because we have never tried, and, in fact, do the exact opposite today.

1 Like

Yeah, he might, we will definitely be giving that a try.

Oven, d’oh! :scream_cat:

What temperature do you recommend?

2 Likes

Are there multiple temperatures on the oven?
:smiling_imp:

lol - I usually cook everything at 350 unless something really jumps out at me.

It is possible my sense of taste is not highly developed. Stunted one might even say.

1 Like

Pre-Instant Pot, I would make our family’s comfort meal (chicken and rice) in the oven. By far the best tasting of all of the cooking methods I’ve tried (rice is cooked in seasoned chicken broth).

ETA: we cook on 350, too.

1 Like

Might even be probable. FYI - I hardly ever use 350, usually I am lower for the meats sake, or higher to develop flavor. Probably the one exception is cookies, where 350 works well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I prepared @Michel’s recipe last night and did NOT spike!!! :smile_cat:

I used home-made chicken broth (with a good tablespoon of chicken fat in it) and baked the rice at 325 degrees for about 55 minutes. I ate a 150 gram portion (!!!) covered by a 1-hour prebolus of 5.45 units of insulin. So totally kick-ass to eat some rice for a change!!

3 Likes

What a terrific recipe this looks like!

Really awesome! I am so pleased it worked for you!