New Roche Accu-Chek Solo Micropump just cleared by FDA

Looks similar to an OmniPod5, but it’s detachable so you just need to replace the disposables and not the pump. This sounds like it could be cheaper and less wasteful than the Omnipod5 and you should be able to pop it off, refill, and click it back on. Doesn’t look like it has any CGM integration though.

1 Like

It does not use your phone…
:man_facepalming:

Not sure why pump companies keep misfiring on that.

1 Like

Ah- I missed that. Another phone-sized controller! That was one of the things that bugged us about the Omnipod5 too- so few approved phones they might as well not bother. My daughter tried it and thought it wasn’t worth the extra hassle, and carrying an extra phone around was one of the big marks against it. Is it that difficult/costly to get phones approved for use with these medical devices or are the companies releasing them that dense?

1 Like

Either the chic in the video is super tiny, or that pump is extremely large.

Check out the size of that thing compared to her stomach and her hand. It looks oddly huge.

@bwschulz Have I misunderstood the time frame of your post or otherwise misunderstood? The usefulness of this product seems highly questionable and I hope I’ve misjudged or don’t understand. Far from being a marvel of the modern age, after watching the various videos on how to fill, attach, and dose with it, I feel like Mr. Peabody in the WayBack machine. Except for being a similar size to Omnipod Eros, Dash, 5, iLet, or Mobi, the Roche Accu-Chek Solo seems archaic in design and function…something the 1990’s, certainly not 2023. Perhaps I’m spoiled with a G6, Dash pods, and Loop or iAPS to run it all. To have to press two buttons simultaneously then listen for an equal # of beeps and then press both buttons again to confirm OR use a separate PDM with equally archaic (I think I counted 7 or 8 button presses for a bolus not counting waking the PDM and entering a code of some sort)…it just seems nuts. Please tell me what I’ve misunderstood or don’t get or what environment this pump is aimed at.

2 Likes

@TomH,
You are super savvy. Are you like a savant or something?

:joy:

Check this out:

1 Like

@Eric

I think that’s not a “chick” in the photo, I don’t know any women who are shaped like that or have those masculine hands. :thinking:

1 Like

@Jan,
I am not sure. But check out the manly manicure he has.

With fingernails like that, he must be a lumberjack or an auto-mechanic. :joy:

2 Likes

:rofl: Looks like some dirt under those fingernails :rofl:

1 Like

I have no idea- I just receive FDA approval/clearance announcements and I pass on any related to diabetes here. I didn’t watch any of the videos and don’t know or care if the product sucks, but I presume if they went through the trouble and expense of getting approval or clearance they plan to make money on it somehow.
I got a notification that this was cleared today, but that notification was paywalled so I didn’t post it here. I searched FDA.gov for the actual announcement but only found the older one so I assumed the new one wasn’t up yet, but possibly the announcement was wrong somehow.

@Eric Ahhhh, now that sounds a bit more realistic of the times and placement! Thanks. @bwschulz Sorry if it sounded like I was taking you on, not the case; I appreciate all (and thank you for your own) efforts to keep us all enlightened and apprised of the latest tech available to ease the burden of our T1-ness! I can’t help but think the FDA “system” was having some fun with us….

1 Like

IJBOL! :rofl:

@TomH at the risk of being presumptuous, maybe this intended to be a low cost alternative aimed at the T2 crowd so it has fewer features.

2 Likes

So the guy from Tidepool (Howard Look) gave a interview a couple of months ago and mentioned they were in talks with a pump company. From my memory he would only say it was not Insulet or Tandem. Could it be Roche?

Howard stated a few week ago in a small group meeting that they are at the mercy of the pump companies, three of which they are talking with. No names or timeline.

2 Likes