New, faster insulin approved

Here’s an excerpt from the Healthline summary from the recent ADA conference:

Ultra-Rapid Lyumjev: Eli Lilly announced on June 15 that it obtained FDA clearance for its ultra-rapid insulin, Lyumjev (pronounced LOOM-jehv). Clinical trial data from 2019 shows this is faster than existing injected insulins, clocking in at 13 minutes compared to Humalog and other meal-time insulins that take as long as 27 minutes to start impacting glucose levels. It’ll be sold in 10 mL vials and also prefilled KwikPens, both in 100 units/mL and 200 units/mL concentrations. Lyumjev is not approved for use in insulin pumps, but Lilly’s aiming to submit to FDA for insulin pump use later in 2020. Right now it’s for adults only, as pediatric studies remain ongoing. Lilly plans to begin shipping ASAP, but unfortunately does tell us this insulin will have the same ~$300 retail list price as Humalog. It will be included in the Lilly Insulin Value Program that offers eligible patients to get this insulin and others for as low as a $35 monthly co-pay.

10 Likes

This is pretty cool!!! Why did they choose that name I wonder – it sounds like an Ikea shelving unit :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Or like someone created algorithm that generates words with the letters most commonly used in medicine names and it spit that out. Actually, that seems entirely plausible…

I’m planning to ask my endo when we have a telehealth appt in two weeks for a script. My insurance has a strong pref for Lilly products, so I’m hoping that means they will approve it (or at least without a fuss, though I’m prepared to make one if it comes to it), since I’d like to have both this and humalog in my tool kit.

2 Likes

Yes, me, too. My next dr appt isn’t until Sept though.

1 Like

I wonder that too. To me it sounds more Russian :ru:. Some insulin names kind of make sense, but I can’t make sense of Lyumjev.

1 Like

Can you schedule a sooner one or leave a voicemail or email requesting the script? My endo also has a NP you can speak with on the phone or see between appointments—I’ve only ever really contacted her for urgent stuff (like sorting out when Dexcom/insurance approvals were a mess), but I gather some folks utilize her much more regularly. Anyone like that available?

2 Likes

Why not ask your endo for a sample vial or two to TRY first?
I love the idea of more faster acting insulins. Fiasp works well for me, but maybe this would work better?
Because the VA will not cover anything ‘new’ for a long time, I have to pay fully out of pocket.
But I will try to get my end to give me a sample vial or two. She has always been very good about this in the past.

2 Likes

Yes, I used to be able to just call in for a script but since Covid 19 they no longer offer that. They told me this is because they are working with limited staff personal in the office. I don’t see how that should make a difference since it is all computerized but oh well! Maybe I will email my CDE though. Maybe she could get it for me. Good idea!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, good idea. My endo has given me Fiasp in the past to try so I’m sure she would provide samples IF they have them!!

1 Like

I just started on Fiasp from Novolog but would definitely LOVE to try this!! I see my Endo on July 7th. I’ll see if she has samples!!

3 Likes

Anyone tried this yet? I just learned about it and want to try it for corrections.

Also going to try GLP-1.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard any mention of it since this post

3 Likes

@egreen76, did you get to try samples?

1 Like

I’ve heard that it can have trouble in pumps, would love to hear from others what their experience has been.

2 Likes

Yeah my pump trainer said not to use in the pump but I was just going to use it for highs.

3 Likes