My try of Fiasp

Fiasp is Novo Nordisk’s newest rapid insulin. It has two additives which are supposed to speed up its abortion - nicotinamide and arginine.

I got some Fiasp a few weeks ago and wanted to give my impressions on it so far…

Before saying anything, I want to point out, my bar for insulin speed is set pretty high. I mostly have been using Apidra for injections, which is a bit faster than either of the “logs” (Humalog / NovoLog). I also frequently do intramuscular injections, and use longer needles, so I am used to more rapid insulin absorption.

I know there is a lot of excitement about it and people are hoping for a faster response.

I would just say that people should temper their expectations a little bit. It is not a game-changer. :frowning: It seems perhaps a slight bit faster, but nothing that will rock your world.

I didn’t have any burning or pain from the injections like some have reported. I have only used it with syringes though, not a pump where some of the complaints have come from. And the insulin duration is the same as far as I can tell. I think getting rid of the 3-5 hour insulin lag would be the real game-changer…

So, for what it’s worth, a bit faster, that’s all. But if you want to try it, you should. From Canada, about $70 plus shipping gets a vial to your door.

(image taken from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5054830/figure/dom12468-fig-0001/)

3 Likes

That’s great to see you experiment with it!

I wonder how it would compare to our reaction time. It takes us 40 minutes to see significant Humalog/ Novolog action. I hope to be able to test it over summer.

@Eric

Thanks for the information. Really interesting. I’d like to try and will, but doesn’t seem as promising as I thought it would be.

What length needle do you use for intramuscular injections?
I need SO much information and guidance!

I really want to try IM because faster onset makes so much sense! I even wish to consider IV (not there yet)

2 Likes

It depends a little on your body composition, but if you use a 8mm needle in the back of your calf you will likely be IM.

3 Likes

As Chris said, it depends on your body composition. But it also depends on the location of where you are doing the IM.

I would suggest trying from 8 mm to 12.7 mm (1/2 inch) needle length.

If you have had a flu shot, you know the place they do that in your shoulder. You can try IM there with a 1/2 inch needle. And as Chris said, the back of the calves is pretty easy.

2 Likes

8mm syringe has half units

1 Like