I got some Fiasp

Fiasp is the newest insulin from Novo Nordisk (the makers of NovoLog,Tresiba, & Levemir).

Fiasp stands for "Faster-acting Insulin Aspart”. It is supposed to be much faster than the current rapids like NovoLog, Humalog, and Apidra.

Fiasp is approved many other places in the world, but not yet approved or available in the United States.

So I got some.

I’ll let you know if it lives up to its hype…

5 Likes

@Eric Where did you get that??? I am so envious/jealous of you.

I need, I want, gimme.

1 Like

Talk to me Doc, I can walk you through what I did.:wink:

The funny thing is, I have only used a little bit so far. My BG has been so low, I haven’t really had an opportunity to use a bunch yet. :grinning:

Donuts?

Thai food?

I know at some point I will do that. But since it is so new, I wanted to start with some “real-world” test cases. Just normal use for the sake of comparison.

You may not believe this, but occasionally I actually eat proper meals!
:grinning:

Have you ever had Thai tea?!?! :yum:

2 Likes

Surprising but true: How to legally obtain FIASP in the US

@Eric, great minds think alike: I got these 8mm needles you were recommending, and I am working on getting FIASP too, since my son spikes too easily. I was planning on testing the two against each other :slight_smile:

I think that possibly gives you double fast results. But the problem is, when you change two variables, you don’t know whether one or both are responsible for the change in results. So, it depends if you want fast results or good scientific method. Possibly fast results are the more important concern for him at this point.

I’ll do a proper eval of the insulin. It takes time. I won’t jump to conclusions, I will do it over weeks.

I am planning on doing the 8mm needles with Novolog, then doing FIASP with 4mm needles. Then FIASP with 8mm needles.

[quote]Have you ever had Thai tea?!?! :yum:
[/quote]
Why would you even ask that? Even Batman likes Thai tea!

2 Likes

That sounds like a good way to test it.

Eric, What was your conclusion on the FIASP? Is this something which you would potentially use as a complete replacement in your pump from your current insulin?

Are there are any downsides (other than non-FDA approved) that you are aware of?

Well, first off, my general philosophy is that life is too short to wait for insulin. So my wants and expectations are already a bit higher.

I do IM and IV for speed. On the IM, I exercise the muscle, or use massage to speed it up. I use longer needles. I over-bolus to get a faster response.

So, going into the Fiasp test, I am not really one to be happy with a tiny improvement…

It isn’t life-changing. It is a little faster, but not much. Maybe a few minutes faster. The tail is about the same.

There is no downside, other than the cost. It didn’t hurt or sting or burn me, like some have reported.

So if you have $100 to spend on it, go ahead and try it. But temper your expectations. It is not the Holy Grail like some have made it out to be. :frowning:

I put some comments about it on this thread.

1 Like

Thanks. I remember reading that thread now. Nice graphs. Agreed, a couple minutes faster is nothing to jump up and down about.

Perhaps similar to my approach on computer upgrades. If it is not at least 50% faster than it is not worth the effort to change. Wait for something better to be released.

But on the other hand, if you have $100, it’s easy to get and try. I don’t want to dissuade anyone from trying it.

I just don’t want people to think it’s like a cure, and then be saddened by the disappointment.

Some of the postings about it from people on the googles, saying how it is soooo much faster…they are just silly.

It is not about money. It is totally about the expectations.

Bottom line is if this was changed in the pump as a blind test, would somebody wake up one morning and be like: WOW. My insulin is really acting faster. What changed?

Or would they be like… ho hum. 'nuther day. Nothing special here. Move along.

I am willing to take advantage of your testing expertise and skip over something that is basically not a big deal.

I would not want to be the one who talked anyone out of trying it. But to me, it was trivial.

The graphs, which are much more scientific than my subjective observations, are not too impressive.

1 Like

After two weeks on Fiasp, I agree with @Eric – I don’t find it’s faster (than Humalog, at least). If I time things really, really well (my way of saying it’s probably sheer luck), then the bump after a highish-carb meal with an extended bolus looks a bit like a cat under a duvet, rather than the Alps. But I don’t usually eat like that, and my two-week Clarity report looks way worse than the previous two weeks on Humalog, so I keep asking myself what is the advantage? And I can’t really come up with an answer. If I had to make a decision right now I would go back to Humalog.

4 Likes

What an awesome phrase!

1 Like