My review of the ReliOn Premier Voice blood glucose meter

Thanks for your review. That’s too bad to hear about the accuracy issues. It’s also too bad to hear that the test history is not spoken. If that’s not spoken, I’m guessing that the meter wasn’t really designed to be truly accessible to people with visual impairments and that there are probably other design flaws that would create problems.

I would be curious whether the speech for testing is actually useful to someone who might want to use this meter to test many times a day, or whether it’s more annoying than helpful. An example of useful speech would be: “[BEEP] Apply blood.” An example of annoying speech would be: “Hello, thank you for using our meter. Today’s date is blah blah blah. Please apply blood.” Listening to the latter provides no useful information (except for the date, which could be obtained some other way such as through a command or the settings) and would get really irritating to hear a dozen times a day.

For people with visual impairments, having strips that allow one to place more blood is essential becasue we can’t really see where the blood is nor how full the little window in the strip is. As for not being able to tell whether a strip is upside down, this is also a problem. Are there any tactually distinguishing features on the top of the strip at all? Most strips have a little ridge that can be felt between the little circuity-looking bit and the rest of the strip. (I’ll attach a picture.) Do these strips have something like this?

1 Like