MDI: frequency and methods of injections

I’ve been trying MDI for a few months now after pumping for 11 years. I expect my A1C to be the same, but I have to take up to 10 shots a day sometimes to maintain good control. It’s all dependent on what you eat I suppose, but I don’t think 4 shots a day is realistic since you can’t extend boluses or increase basals temporarily.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I have to take tons of shots a day on MDI, including sometimes several to cover one meal—I think if that really bothers you, maybe stick with a pump (although very consistent low carb may mean as many shots isn’t necessary once you figure out what works). Honestly, at this point, if it works, the idea of whipping out my pen to quickly inject doesn’t bother me much at all—probably helps that I do it through my clothes (essential IMO, and not a problem at all, although it makes pen needles wear faster if you’re doing through jeans or the like, and I might not recommend through heavy jeans—mine tend to be stretch jean fabric which is thinner). I also do shots in most public situations. People rarely seem to notice and if they do, screw it. I’ve done them walking down the street before. When you need insulin, you need insulin.

9 Likes

I mean, I’ve also done shots one handed while driving, not that I recommend that, obviously don’t do that, tell your teens not to, etc etc.

4 Likes

I agree, I love my pen and don’t mind injecting as much as I need to. It’s definitely not as convenient as bolusing on a pump, but it’s miles ahead of vials and syringes!

2 Likes

I’ve tested while walking down the street and I’ve changed an infusion set while waiting outside a restaurant (it was an Inset, so quick process). I used to do injections whenever and wherever I needed them, such as on the bus or wherever. But I can’t deny that the pump is still more convenient. I can do a pump bolus while I’m in the middle of chairing a meeting and no one even realizes I’ve done anything. Can’t yet do that with an injection. :wink:

3 Likes

Fair enough yeah! I think in my life at this point, I actually would and have done injections in meetings, but that’s thanks to a lot of my work meetings being with people who know me well and don’t care. If my work schedule had me doing more stuff where I had to be subtle (like when I was doing full-time clinical work briefly), a pump would definitely be much more convenient.

I think this is so #FUDiabetes!

We do just the same, btw. When on MDI we inject in public, and I feel just the same about people’s reactions.

1 Like

So true, @Scotteric, welcome to FUD! You may want to introduce yourself on the welcome thread if you wish: Welcome, introduce yourself here! - #537 by Katers87

Same for me. Also lots of BG tests that way.

2 Likes

I almost made a joke when I posted that that TUD should have a contest to see how complex a task people can still do while giving an injection, and that I suspect you would be my fiercest competition here haha. Part of a broader Diabetes Olympiad perhaps?

4 Likes

I haven’t tested one-handed while driving, but I have tested in the dark by touch alone. No strip light allowed. :wink:

3 Likes

I used to sometimes load my syringes by feel. I wouldn’t look at the numbers, just feel the depth of the plunger. I practiced it until I got pretty good. I could do a shot in a movie theater or whatever. Of course pens makes it easier to do that.

2 Likes

On which body parts do you inject in public? I’m ok injecting at the table at a restaurant - I usually use my abdomen because I tend to wear two piece clothing (a top/shirt, and slack/skirt) I haven’t figured out how to do my arm outside the home because I generally wear long sleeves.

You can do shots through clothes a good deal of the time. I used to do so off and on. I just didn’t do it a lot because I was always worried all those needle holes would eventually show up in my clothes.

1 Like

Yeah, I inject through most clothing. It’s part of why I prefer pen needles that aren’t the super short ones though (which I think actually sting more anyway). That said, I never inject in my arms, just my abdomen, thighs, hips, and butt. I used to use arms, but I have injections result in bruising often enough that I prefer to stick to locations I’m usually not exposing (though it’s somewhat unavoidable when wearing a bathing suit unless I really want to limit my options, which I do not).

1 Like