Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome @Katers87!

Looking forward to interacting and learning from you in the future!

1 Like

It doesn’t really work with tresiba but many people find it no longer necessary if they switch to tresiba—- eg they need more Lantus or whatever else at certain times of the day but do really well with Tresiba 1x daily. It’s not necessarily that your body actually needs more or less insulin at certain times of days, but that certain types of insulins absorb more or less efficiently at different times of day… in my experience anyway

5 Likes

Welcome aboard!

I have a slight twinge of jealousy… - My A1Cs are always higher than my CGM/BG meter averages - but hey - when I look on the bright side it keeps me motivated :laughing: I remind myself that it is all about keeping healthy and feeling good and not about the numbers and once you get below 6 or so medical people seem to think you know what you are doing and don’t harass you as much.

A completely random point - I assume since T1s are living so long these days and are going to med school, I have started to notice a lot more T1s around the diabetes health-care space. My son has T1 and about 1/2 the staff have T1 in the pediatric diabetes clinic he goes to and most know there stuff (although I will always argue (maybe that is why I let my wife do all the talking). My endo is also T1 (and pretty awesome I must say) so there is some hope for the future.

:hijacked: I do have a problem hijacking threads…

8 Likes

Hi @Katers87. Welcome to FUD!
I’ve been on MDI for many years, Novolog and Lantus. I went from once daily with Lantus to twice daily, then went with Toujeo when I got fed up with Lantus.

Toujeo also required twice daily injection, so that didn’t last long. Finally tried Tresiba and can say unequivocally that it is the best basal insulin I’ve found. Once a day, and I very rarely need to feed the basal.

4 Likes

Welcome and glad you found your way here! It is an awesome site.

When I was diagnosed I had had very, very little contact with any other T1’s. So finding other knowledgeable D’s was so helpful to me.

4 Likes

Excellent news! I hope it works out exactly like that.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am a Canadian from Montreal who has had T1D for 44 years. I was diagnosed back when we used glass syringes and Clinitest tablets. For 41 of those years I was on MDI. The last 3 years I have been using the Animas Vibe and Dexcom CGM. My daughter also has T1D and was diagnosed 12 years ago.

With Animas out of the picture, now we only have 2 pump choices in Canada, the Medtronic 630g and the Omnipod. I got a free PDM from Omnipod and just started using the pods this week to see if I like them (before I have to make a decision next year). I am kind of hoping that by then Tandem will have entered the Canadian market so that I will have 3 choices. I see that there are a lot of Omnipod users on this site, so I am hoping to gather some advice from the group.

9 Likes

Welcome aboard Lisa! There’s a number of Omni podders here!

4 Likes

Welcome, Lisa. There is a ton of great Omnipod info here. Some recent threads include:

Don’t let the repeated word “failure” discourage you! Some of us rather love our pods.

3 Likes

Hi @Lisa
Don’t be worried about the threads that are about problems. There are actually a bunch of threads here with useful info too. If you have questions, people here can answer them. Welcome to FUD!

2 Likes

Welcome, @Lisa! If you get the chance, make sure to share your story!

There are lots of podders here as has previously been discussed, so please ask any/all questions that you might have. The reason you will find so many “what do I do” posts from people here is that we work hard to answer each other’s questions in an intelligent manner so that we can all better manage our (and our loved ones) diabetes.

My son, Liam, uses the Omnipod and has been since Aug 2016. He’s just about to turn 4 and will have had diabetes for 2 years this coming February. We LOVE our Omnipod. Yes, there are occasional errors - we average about 1 error pod per month so far…not bad odds we feed.

Nice to meet you and looking forward to interacting with you in the future.

3 Likes

Welcome Lisa! Glad you are here. We have tried the pods but really like our Tandem as does @Thomas. For Canada’s sake I hope they give you the choice. Having a good number of choices is always better for the diabetics. 44 years, very impressive. My son has only been diagnosed for two years, but it has been an interesting ride. It must have been interesting to see the technology changing so fast during your time.

2 Likes

@Chris @Lisa
Tandem CEO has stated intention of having the Tandem pump available in Canada during 2018.

Hopefully they are able to fulfill their commitment.

Choices are good.

3 Likes

@Lisa Welcome! My name is Lisa — I live outside of Chicago, am coming up on 3 year’s since diagnosis, have been using a Dex CGM for a year or so and have been a POD user for a little over 3 months. You’ve absolutely come to the right place. So much experience and compassion here. :grinning:

Millz

3 Likes

@Lisa, welcome here!!! We are Podders too, although I really hope you get a third choice soon too!

I am really looking to reading your posts!

Btw, we will be on vacation in Montreal and Quebec next week, visiting from WI: we are really excited about visiting your beautiful province!

2 Likes

Welcome Lisa!

I don’t use a pump (MDI works better for me), but the Omnipod does seem like a very attractive option as far as pumps go. At least you wouldn’t have to deal with all the tubing anymore! Though I suppose that might not bother some people as much.

I’m glad Canada covers both the Dexcom and a pump for you! I’m also glad you’re no longer using glass syringes! I can’t imagine how difficult that must have been. Thanks for paving the way for the rest of us :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks! I hope that you have a great time in Montreal. It’s a beautiful city.

I did my first pod change on Friday and so far so good!

1 Like

It’s funny - the tubing never bothered me at all, but now that it’s not there anymore I feel all of the sudden that I am not wearing a pump. I am enjoying not having anything clipped to my pocket. My daughter is on MDI and is very happy doing that.

It was probably my mom who did not enjoy the glass syringes (especially having to boil them all the time). Plus the needle was gigantic - nothing like those tiny 4mm pen needles that we have today.

3 Likes

I believe @lh378 visited Montreal recently and really liked it too

1 Like

Welcome Lisa! Yes Montreal and Quebec are wonderful! The food is terrific and everyone is quite friendly. @Michel, wishing you and your family a great vacation :-). There are many great places to eat. Two of our favorites for casual, convenient and delicious offerings were: L’Express http://restaurantlexpress.com/en/ and Duc de Lorraine http://www.ducdelorraine.ca/ They open early and stay open pretty late. My children and I loved the food AND the desserts.

3 Likes