Low Carb Work Lunches

Looking for ideas for low carb work lunches. My fave’s are cottage cheese or yoghurt with berries and nuts, but dairy (other than hard cheese) always spikes me, which is hard to stay on top of in the workplace. Chicken and veg or chicken over salad is another go-to, but I no longer have a microwave, nor feel it would be well received to bring one into my office.

Ideas?

3 Likes

I have a lot of ideas that work for a hormonal preteen. I hope some are useful for you too.
Hard boiled eggs
Cold rotisserie chicken I don’t know why this is so good cold but it is.
any type of sanwhich you woould make on bread we use Xtreme protien spinach wrap. If you toast this in a pan prior to wrapping it takes the ‘gooeyness’ away. and Sandwhich skinnies from Aldi 13 carbs. All other brands I’ve looked at are still the same carbs as 2 slices of bread.
FairLife dairy products. Milk, yogurt, kefir, even ice cream. They use a series of filters to remove sugars and lactose its $$ but worth it.
When she wants hot leftovers we have a thermos that we get hot with boiling water, heat the food hotter than you would if you were eating it that moment. The thermos keeps the food hot from 6:45AM when we fill it until her lunch at 11:50

10 Likes

Well, I used to be a hormonal preteen, and occasionally still act like one ha ha

These are great recommendations, thanks!

5 Likes

I have lots of success with Base Culture 7 Nut & Seed or Original Keto sliced bread. Great sandwiches with turkey and cheese, lettuce, avocado, etc. Many restaurants allow me to bring these to brunch, too.

Tumaro’s MultiGrain Low Carb Wrap is a fantastic option. But the other wraps in that low carb line, for some reason, spike me.

I love Kite Hill unsweetened yogurts, add drops of monk fruit. They have a high protein/Greek style, or the original with less protein, few more carbs. With some walnuts, raspberries, etc, great low carb snack or meal.

And, there’s always a salad!

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with any of those brands, but perhaps they are sold online. Thanks!

1 Like

I find them all at Wegman’s. Base Culture is in the freezer (near gluten free area), Tumaros with other wraps.

Whole Foods carries Base Culture, freezer.

Tumaro’s I also find in ShopRite and other larger chains.

I think everything is online, but larger quantities for Base Culture are required for shipping.

Good luck!

4 Likes

I’m more of a walk over to the corner deli kind of guy, but these days they all seem to be willing to make whatever ‘sandwich’ you want without bread, served up hot or cold (as appropriate) in a tin carry out. Pile of grilled roast beef or turkey with melted mozzarella or provolone cheese are my usual ‘go to’ choices. Occasionally, I treat myself to something a little more elaborate on a whole wheat wrap, but those whole wheat wraps aren’t as GI friendly as they would seem, so not every day (they give me blips, not real spikes, but still…)

2 Likes

Leftover chicken crust pizza is always awesome!

2 Likes

Woah looked that up…gotta try it!

3 Likes

What on earth is THAT?? Does it taste like chicken parmigiana??? Sounds like a MUST try.

3 Likes

Oh, no, it doesn’t taste like chicken parm at all. It is the best high protein low carb pizza crust we have found. Much better than fat-head pizza. It tastes like pizza!

Keto Pizza – Chicken and Cheese Crust

Ingredients: (about 15 carbs per pizza)

1/2 cup almond flour

1 can of cooked chicken (12-13 ounce)

2 eggs

1 1/2 bags of mozzarella cheese (the regular size 8 ounce bags) I’ve also used an Italian blend of cheese this works well too (use finely shredded for the half bag)

1/2 tsp garlic, 1/2 tsp onion, 1/2 tsp oregano

Raos sauce (2-5 tbls, the more you use the carbs go up so be careful)

Toppings of choice (sausage, pepperoni, and ground beef recommended- brown the ground beef in a lot of butter and garlic powder)

Instructions:

First drain the chicken and pat it down with paper towel, hand shred it very fine or use a fork

Then combine chicken, spices, eggs, almond flour, and half bag of mozzarella cheese(finely shredded) in mixing bowl

Mix it into a nice gooey ball, take the ball and spread it evenly across a pizza pan (see picture for how it should look, and use parchment paper on the pan)

Next bake the crust for 15-18 minutes at 500 degrees on center rack. Make sure the crust is ultra crispy on top because the bottom is less so. (see picture for how it should look)

Remove and preheat oven to broil

Add Raos sauce, 1 bag of mozzarella cheese and toppings of choice (see picture)

Broil until cheese is bubbly golden brown (about 5 minutes)

Let rest for 5-10 minutes, sprinkle the cheese with garlic powder

5 Likes

Thanks for posting the recipe. :yum:

We love this brand of sauce!

2 Likes

Easy, tastes good, and relatively less sugar added than other tomato sauces. When you can’t make homemade, go for Rao’s.

1 Like

Will have to give it a try…always looking for good pizza replacements!

2 Likes