Low carb grits

So @Jen inspired me with her low-carb oatmeal recipe last week, and I decided that I really would like to make low carb grits! I thought that was truly impossible :slight_smile: But the miracle of cauliflower appears to provide an answer… This is what I found:

Here are the ingredients for two servings if you go by the recipe:

6 ounces raw cauliflower
1 slice bacon
1 teaspoon butter
3 tablespoons hemp seeds
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon cream cheese
1 1/2 ounces of smoked Gouda shredded
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Now, based on what I know we can eat for breakfast, I figure one portion would require 5 ounces of cauliflower, really, which means that the recipe would call for 10 ounces of cauliflower. If you keep everything the same, that would give each serving a value of 6 carbs, which is quite reasonable for low-carb grits.

I really like the rest. The feedback on the recipe is pretty good. What do you think, should we give it a try and report?

2 Likes

Give it a try! What got me lowering my carb intake was a) discovering that there were low-carb versions of every food imaginable (no need to give anything up or feel deprived as long as I was willing to cook), and b) seeing the results on my BG of no spike with almost no effort on my part (no complicated bolus calculations or detailed timing). I hope you like them!

3 Likes

Then I’ll have to eat them. Think of me, @Jen :smile:

My wife makes a great low carb pizza with cauliflower rice. I don’t know the recipe though :wink:

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t call it grits, however my house loves cauliflower, and what can go wrong by adding cheese and cream. Sounds really good.

I would only worry about the teenager hunger abatement staying power if that was the main part of the meal.

4 Likes