Low-carb cauliflower crust pizza from scratch

Over the weekend, we got inspired both by @Chris and by @kmichel. After trying @Chris’s delicious 5 minute pizza dough, as documented here, we decided to experiment with the cauliflower recipe of @kmichel’s wife.

We made a 12" pizza so we had to slightly change the numbers for the ingredients. The other problem we had was that my son slightly overdosed for a high, so we rushed the preparation of the pizza :slight_smile: The good part for it is that we focused on a really quick recipe :slight_smile:

Crust

2.5 cup riced cauliflower [in retrospect 3-3.5 cups may be better]
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp herbes de Provence
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tbspoon garlic powder
1 tsp salt

• start oven at 400F
  • steam the riced cauliflower for 8 minutes
  • break the eggs over the cauliflower, mix well with parmesan Herbes de Provence, garlic and salt.
  • oil 12" pizza pan, spoon and flatten the cauliflower dough into it
  • Put it in the oven for 10 minutes (it should not brown before you take it out).

This is what ours looked like:

You can see we left it too long in the oven (as a result, it got too crisp later).

Toppings

• 2.5 large ripe tomatoes
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves crushed and minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 6 pitted black oil-cured Moroccan olives, diced
  • 4 slices of cappicola, cut in small pieces
  • 1 oz of shaved grana padano
  • 2 baby red and yellow peppers, sliced in 8-10 pieces each then halved

Start a small pan of water that is deep enough for a whole tomato
As soon as the water boils, dips the tomatoes in it for 30 seconds each. Then peel them (they will peel easily) and chunk them
Simultaneously, toss the diced onion in a hot pan with 2 tablespoons of hot oil, mix every 2 minutes for 6 minutes (don’t let it burn)
Throw the crushed garlic with the onion, toss, then throw the chunked tomatoes in right afterwards, and the spices

By then, the crust should be ready (10 minutes). Take it out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce with garlic and onions, top with the cappicola, olives, peppers and finally the shaved cheese. Put back in the oven for less than 10 minutes. Total: 60 carbs for the whole pizza, including all toppings.

When we took ours out, it looked and smelled really good but cooked a bit too long:

We tried it and it was truly delicious! Because we had a cooked it too long, the crust had become a bit dry and not quite as thick as we would have liked (I shortened the time listed to correct for that). It was also a bit difficult to separate the crust from the pan.

So, in retrospect I would probably use more cauliflower in the crust, and also use “something” under it, maybe a Silpat, or some parchment paper, to make it easier to take the pizza off.

We can’t wait to try again, and the dosing was super easy. Thanks for the great recipe, @kmichel!

6 Likes

I love cauliflower pizza, though I do find it a lot of effort to make (mostly because my kitchen is TINY, also because I can’t use dairy, so the recipes I use end up being a bit more complicated, I think). In a couple of weeks I’m going to attempt pizza with psyllium husk-based crust. I’ll post here about how it goes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If the dairy obstacle is just the parmesan and the (very similar) grana padano, could you not simply use a non-dairy/vegan parmesan? I’ve heard of a few commercial brands, but simple recipes abound online. But I’m sure you knew that.

1 Like

Yes, I could and have used homemade vegan parmesan, but that’s part of what increases the complexity of my recipes. :slight_smile: (I don’t know about commercial varities — most commercial vegan cheese products I find have potato in them, so I tend to just make my own.)

1 Like

Also, I’m probably going to be cutting eggs out of my diet soon-ish. Not looking forward to it. But I’m on a mission to get my allergies under as good control as possible, and I’ve suspected for ages that eggs trigger my eosinophilic esophagitis. I’ve just been putting off trialling no eggs because I eat them every day and they’re used in every baking recipe I made. :frowning:

1 Like

@Jen, this really sucks :frowning: Eggs are such an easy go-to, and they also help so lot in baking substitutions.

I hope that you find out you are OK with them. If not, for baking you might look into xanthan gum, I recently purchased a couple of pounds of it for experimenting.

1 Like

Oh no Jen! I’m so sorry about that. Although, I know that you will come up with a spectacular array of tasty dishes to enjoy that leave eggs out. And, I hear great things about flax eggs (I don’t know if you can eat flax, but my vegan friends have spoken highly about flax as an egg replacer). And if it really does make you feel better, you can just remember how much more you enjoy feeling great than you do eating eggs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I made the below recipe the other day and it came out fab, even my son who detests all GF foods loved it! (Daughter is T1 & Celiac) Here’s my recipe, no squeezing required! Couldn’t be bothered !
500g frozen cauliflower rice, (steamed to defrost)
3 eggs
3tbls coconut flour ( great for soaking up the moisture)
1tbls psyllium husk powder (extra binding power)
± 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt
Garlic powder
White pepper

Going to try this again tweaking the ingredients i.e less eggs etc to see what produces the best results
Will try post a pic leter, need to reduce pic size first

1 Like

Tried a cauliflower crust pizza from Costco the other day. Real chewy thin crust veggie pizza. Not bad and only 48g net carbs for 1/4 of the pie.

2 Likes