Alternative pizza

I found a store-made Flat bread pizza at Albertsons that you cook at home and it turned out great. Mozzarella cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes and small amount tomato sauce. Oven at 400, cook 12 minutes. 1/2 a pizza is 27 g carbs, 11 g fat, and 11 g protein and 250 Cal. I bolused 4u Humalog (my normal for 27 g carb as my evening I:C ratio is 1:7) and my highest BG was 135 2.5 h later. BG didn’t go above that all night, and I woke up with a 75. (I always trend gradually down overnight.) My husband are the other half and amazingly even he liked it. So I now have a pizza choice that I can manage easily!

7 Likes

Half a pizza only 27g? That’s amazing

2 Likes

Well, the whole pizza weight-wise is 250 g, and about 6" x 12" ( oblong in shape). Not huge, I’ll take a picture next time. But, it was good, like a thin crust pizza.

2 Likes

Still even those little totinos pizzas that are like $1.50 ea manage to wreck my bg

3 Likes

I was thinking that you could take a flat bread and make your own pizza. I may try that. We like Canadian bacon and mushrooms.:blush:

2 Likes

Man I love pizza… thats been one of the hardest things to lose is the ability to just indulge in some really good pizza worry free…

4 Likes

We make Fat Head pizza, And it has very few carbs, however it is highly caloric (cheese crust) so not for the faint hearted. But it is easier to manage than regular pizza. I have heard good things about people making pizza’s out of lavash bread. Might be worth a try.

2 Likes

Here’s what the flatbread pizza looked like.

5 Likes

Try cauliflower crust pizza! It’s crunchy and way less carbs. Just FYI

2 Likes

Just make sure you make the crust. The cauliflower crust from our local pizza place has more carbs than the regular crust. Was truly unbelievable the first time we tried it thinking it would be less carbs…

1 Like

Oh yes it’s so misleading to see a product that says low carb and it is still crazy high for us T1. I have to make things from scratch most times.

2 Likes

I love pizza and unfortunately I love the “Garbage Can” specialty type with lots of meat and other crap. When I get one (maybe every other month) I plan on taking 6 units of Novolog for each slice and it seems to work. I’d rather take more bolus than sacrifice taste. I put bland pizza in the same category as a vegan diet (dreadfully blah). Been a T1 for 30 years, am now 73-teen with an A1c of 6.5. The CGM is a real lifesaver. I can’t understand why Blue Cross/Blue Shield makes it so difficult to get a CGM. They are fools.-

3 Likes

Seconding this. There’s a local frozen brand I love that I’ll find the name of later. It’s lower carb but not no carb, but generally I find it’s much easier to bolus for and takes longer to get me rising than traditional pizza crusts. The flavors also awesome IMO. I’ll load mine up with cheese, pepperoni, sausages, tomatoes, peppers :yum:

1 Like

I have finally gotten my hubby to eat thin and crispy pizza. We have eaten pizza almost every week of our 50 yr. marriage. I just can’t resist it so bolus what I have to in order to enjoy. 40 yrs. T1 and not dead yet.

2 Likes

I am bumping this old post because I wanted to share our high-protein pizza as an alternative to regular pizza. It’s very satisfying, tasty, and nutritious for our two growing little boys. I make the crust with one chicken breast, three eggs, and salt. I steam the chicken first until fully cooked then run it in the food processor with the eggs and salt. Spread the dough in a big cast iron pan, grate Parmigiano on top and cook in the oven so that it dries up a bit and the cheese seels the crust. Then I add the toppings and cook until the mozzarella has melted.

4 Likes

We have made it that way, and also using the easy button with canned chicken. Very tasty. Makes a great crust.

2 Likes

My kids want pizza every day, so we end up making a lot in my house. I like using flour tortillas as a crust- I know exactly how many carbs I’m getting and there isn’t as much of a delay as regular pizza crust. Could probably use a low carb tortilla too, but I haven’t tried yet.

2 Likes

We have used low carb tortillas and they work just fine. The beauty of the chicken crust is higher protein and it actually tastes amazing. We had to defend it at a party, because the adults keep stealing my son’s pizza because they preferred the taste of the crust.

2 Likes

What temperature do you use for baking the chicken crust? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey, sorry about the delay. I bake it at 200 C (around 400 F).

1 Like