How to make pizza dough with psyllium husk?

I haven’t tried it, but I think psyllium husk would make a GREAT pizza crust. I once tried making wraps from it and it didn’t turn out, so I just ate them plain like giant crackers. But I thought the taste and texture would be great for a pizza crust.

1 Like

I have thought the same thing in the past. But I can’t think of what would amalgamate them in a soft, riding combo? Maybe @Beacher knows what might work?

Yeah, this is why my wraps didn’t work. I think a recipe for wraps and pizza crust would be identical. I know for sure people make “psylli wraps” in the low-carb groups I’m in, so there must be recipes out there.

This was probably due to my unfamiliarity with psyllium husk, but I tried a recipe for low carb pigs in a blanket using almond flour/psyllium husk as the biscuit, and it was disgusting - truly inedible. I never followed up to figure out what, if anything, I did wrong to try a redo. I should, because pigs in a blanket are yummy…

1 Like

@Jen, I just found this gluten-free recipe with psyllium husks and coconut flour:

Let me know if you can access it all. If need be, I can do some copy/pasting while respecting copyright.

@Michel - pictures look good…

May have to try this one. Looking for a gluten free pizza crust that is not too expensive and doesn’t spike the blood sugars.

1 Like

Looks good! My major problem lately is making successful egg-free recipes. Flax eggs seem to work well for gluten-based recipes, but so far all my gluten-free, egg-free recipes have been a complete flop.

1 Like

Have you ever tried aquafaba (chickpea brine)? I’ve heard it’s supposed to work well as an egg white substitute in baking, although I haven’t tried it personally

1 Like

Darn :frowning: Forgot about eggs.

I wonder if you can use xantham gum or agar agar instead as a binding agent.

It doesn’t use psyllium, but here is an egg-free, dairy-free, grain/gluten-free pizza crust that looks like it might be worth trying. I don’t know how tapioca flour affects BG.

https://cassidyscraveablecreations.com/my-favorite-pizza-crust-recipe-paleo-gluten-free-egg-free/

I haven’t tried it, either, but it gets good press. Here are two recipes that use it in place of eggs. The brioche looks like the real thing, and though I generally distrust blog recipes, if I ever had to make an egg-free, dairy-free brioche, I’d try this one. The doughnuts use almond flour, but in the brioche, you could sub in gluten-free flour blend. I wouldn’t go with entirely almond flour because you might not get the required binding. But any recipe can be tweaked for personal dietary needs.

2 Likes

@Beacher, you are amazing!

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will give some of them a try for sure.

I have never tried aquafaba, but I do have some I saved and froze so that I can try it in the future. From what I’ve read, I’m not sure it’s so good for binding, but I’ve read it fluffs up amazingly well for things like meringues.

1 Like

It’s also popular right now in cocktails in place of egg white, for adding froth and a velvety mouthfeel. Apparently you can’t tell the difference. Or maybe that’s only after the second cocktail …

1 Like

I have read this as well in regards to aquafaba.

I may defrost what I have and try using it over the holidays!

1 Like

I have vegan friends who swear by Aquafaba. I’ve tried their foods and it’s impressive in its ability to stand up like egg white.

I will add, that I am unsure if the act of freezing the chickpea liquid will influence its usefulness in the future. I haven’t read about that, so if you read somewhere that freezing is fine, you’re probably more ahead on the research that I am.

But, I know that freezing some other things really changes their properties – for instance spicy peppers become less spicy when frozen. And eggs can be frozen, but they behave differently afterwards.

1 Like