Logo

Is it just the disease we want to symbolize?

How about all the other things that come from the disease?

• persistence
  • courage
  • creativity
  • flexibility
  • an unbreakable will
  • determination
  • spirit
  • resolve
  • willpower
  • discipline
  • fearlessness
  • compassion for others
  • strength

We can focus on needles and pokies and pumps and insulin and all the things that keep us alive, or we can focus on what sets us apart from everyone else - the things in our heart.

Letā€™s do things in order! We are a community for diabetics first. If we canā€™t even indicate that, our logo is not going to be very good. Thatā€™s the first step. The next step will be to try and connect more precisely to who we are. The first hurdle is: what are good symbols for diabetes?

Disagreeā€¦ we are not diabetics firstā€¦ we are unlimited people firstā€¦ with the nuisance of diabetes secondlyā€¦ the primary symbol should be symbols of being unlimitedā€¦ the ā€œlimitationā€ of diabetes should be presented as secondary

2 Likes

:100:

I like this one better. Burn it Down!

4 Likes

@Sam, This is a marketing exercise, not one of inner significance.

The logo connects people to our community. We need this to make a visual identification of relevance to people who see it first. It does not help us to attract all the ā€œ'unlimitedā€ people of this world to the site. We need to give the graphic artists signs that make it a sign that it is for people with diabetes. We are not a community for unlimited people. We are a community for people with diabetes that want to be unlimited.

This may just be me, but Iā€™ve never paid a lot of attention to site logos at allā€¦and Iā€™ve never taken time to study or analyze site logos in a way that I may connect with them, or the messages their logos are attempting to get me to understandā€¦again, thatā€™s probably just me though. Iā€™m a simple person.

I think we are a community of people who consider themselves unlimited despite having diabetesā€¦diabetes, to me isnā€™t firstā€¦itā€™s second. If weā€™re trying to relay the fact that diabetes doesnā€™t hold us back, then should we restrict ourselves by saying weā€™re diabetics first and foremost? Then unlimited afterward? At least I donā€™t think so.

But I understand your point, thoughā€¦people will ā€œlook for usā€ because they are either diabetic themselves, or they have loved ones who areā€¦they wonā€™t search us out because they wake up feeling ā€œunlimitedā€ā€¦

How about three stylized blue circles (the universal symbol of diabetes) with the letters F U D, one letter in each circle.
The stylized circles can emote motion, positive direction, or other uplifting ideas.

Iā€™m not even going to try to draw this.

3 Likes

My goodness, I had NO IDEA there was a universal symbol.

Here it is btw:

http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/Blue-circle-200px.jpg

Unfortunately, I donā€™t think others know about it either :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand what youā€™re saying but donā€™t entirely agree. Symbols of ā€œdiabetesā€ arenā€™t attractive, inspiring, positive, or endearingā€¦ if we can somehow offer a symbolic logo that captures first and foremost the unlimited nature weā€™re trying to capture here I think thatā€™s a winnerā€¦

I offer the following conceptual differenceā€¦ one is the logo of a different diabetes siteā€¦ it does nothing for me. The second is a picture of someone with diabetes being unlimitedā€¦ of course thatā€™s not a proposed logo, but hopefully the concept os understandableā€¦

1 Like

I knew about the single circle, but was wondering about a 3 circle deal. @docslotnick, are you suggesting somehow connecting three of these blue circles (like the Olympics, for example?)

Nobody will associate the second one with our community though. Although they should!

I think heā€™s trying to express more the idea, than the image itself. The fact that people wouldnā€™t associate it with us is a POSITIVE in my opinionā€¦weā€™re not just any other ā€œdiabeticā€ website (see first image.)

Heh. I donā€™t do Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media, and even I knew what the blue circle was. I think itā€™s gotta be pretty well recognized in diabetes circles. (pun intended :grinning: )

2 Likes

Again, this is a marketing exercise. We want people to associate the logo with what we are. Thatā€™s what it is for.

Yes, and the disagreementā€¦or debateā€¦if itā€™s a better term, I think weā€™re having right now is what ā€œwe areā€. lol

@ClaudnDaye Not necessarily. I think design should be up to the graphic designer.

But you indicated 3 circlesā€¦Iā€™m trying to visualize that. Waitā€¦I shouldnā€™t try to visualize anything?

Okay, Iā€™m done for tonight. Iā€™m obviously headed in directions not necessary. Will catch up later!

To me itā€™s simpleā€¦if you want to be recognized as a diabetic websiteā€¦use one of the boring ideas, contraptions or anything ā€œold schoolā€ diabetesā€¦we all know what they are.

If you want to be UNLIMITEDā€¦then prove it by making your very first messageā€¦unlimited. And stick the pesky diabetes message in there somewhere.

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye Of course you should try to visualize it any way you see it. Iā€™m just trying to suggest recognizable elements.

Iā€™m such a bad artist that I canā€™t even visualize a finished design.

1 Like