Itchy Dexcoms

Do you put your pods on standing up? The tightness of the skin can cause stretching when you sit down and will cause itching and welts from the extra pressure on the tape. I’m no where near the shape you are in, but I have to insert pods sitting down to reduce stretching.

2 Likes

I have to use hydrocolloid dressings underneath the Dexcom. It’ll cause severe reactions for me that are painful and oozing when I take them off otherwise, then they’ll completely scab over and truly take many weeks to heal.

I use the dynadern extra thin hydrocolloid dressings, available on Amazon. (I tried a different brand once and it didn’t work— still had a reaction)

I fold them in half while they still have the backing on, snip a small hole in the center of the folded edge. Then unfold and you’ll have a diamond shaped small hole roughly in the center of the dressing. I align the hole with the Dexcom (adhesive cover still on) and trace around it with a sharpee—- then cut the dressing out. Then I remove the adhesive backing and stick them together aligning the holes.

This works great to prevent skin reaction, but it doesn’t stay on well, so I cut out strips of opsite flexifix and use it as tape all around the sensor/ dressing to hold it on.

Without it, my skin looks like this (this is actually relatively mild).

I’ve tried everything and this is all that works for me.

The pods don’t bother me much at all.

2 Likes

IMG_0644

This technique is truly a lifesaver for me. I hope it can be helpful to someone else

6 Likes

I get the same bad reaction, and have to do the same to prevent it. I’m glad I have someone willing to help line up the hydrocolloid hole for the G7 insertion – being able to stick it right to the G6 adhesive seems more accurate!

2 Likes