Omnipod infusion site itching

I’m new at podding (only on 2nd pod) it starts to get itchy and slightly sore at the infusion site (just where the cannula goes into the skin) after 2 days, nothing I can’t tolerate but wonder if others have this same experience

1 Like

Sometimes.

For me it just depends on the location of the pod. Some locations itch, and others don’t.

Maybe try some other places.

1 Like

thanks. due to change tonight and will try abdomen , have only done arms so far.

2 Likes

Yah, it happens to me too for all pumps. Pods and Fiasp have been among the worst combination so far. I’ll use an OTC cortisone cream after taking the site off if it gets really bad (for me less than 1 time/month).

1 Like

thanks, ill give cortisone a try, several hours since changing pod and the old site is, if anything, itchier than before

1 Like

Arms are a problem for me; too little fat too much needle. The pods are prone to fail however, being an older T1D, my skin has been subjected to many thousands of injections so doesn’t tend to itch much.

If you are using Fiasp that will be a problem - Fiasp contains a skin irritant (the ‘adjutant’) that is intended to produce blood flow (as a result of the irritation) to enhance the insulin adsorption rate. In that case I would suggest talking to your endo about using a pure GMO insulin. It doesn’t make much, if any, difference if you are using a pump. I use Fiasp (at the behest of my insurance company); I don’t much care about the insulin and I can’t be bothered to ask my endo to change the prescription, way too much work, so I stick with it. If I had the time I wouldn’t use it.

3 Likes

I started drying out the cannula window after priming, before pod application. I’d read that others had experienced skin irritation at the cannula site theorizing that the primed insulin in the window at application sits on the skin and irritates things? So I use a little bit of tissue to dry out the window before applying.

I also have to apply hydrocortisone after each pod removal. And I do my absolute best not to overlap pod adhesive footprints one pod after another because that itching gets insane on my skin if it doesn’t have time to rehydrate or heal or whatever it is.

With your relatively larger insulin needs, I wonder if your cannulas are leaking/tunneling in the skin by the two day mark? Is your cannula viewing window appearing dry or wet? Just wondering if that’s related.

Most of the time I can only go two days per pod due to cannula issues/skin sogginess/poor absorption/bleeding/you name it. My prescription is written for switching pods every two days due to skin sensitivity to cover it.

Good luck! Please keep us posted!

3 Likes

using novolog, because that is what endo prescribed, and its next to impossible to see him before next scheduled visit in dec. but it is looking like the issue was placement on the arm, ive got more fat on the tummy than arm and it as yet has not started itching or being sore there…have a lot of scarring on abdomen to work around from surgeries so will need to keep trying out other sites as well but will go for 'fatter" areas

2 Likes

Thanks, I will give that drying idea a try, and do pretty far spaced applications to prevent overlap, so far the window has been looking clear. I have the pod on abdomen this time and so far, fingers crossed, it is going fine so i think it is happier on a spot with a bit more fat (just what I need, a reason not to loose the 10 pounds I feel like i should, lol)

3 Likes

You can also try a barrier (like tegaderm or a hydrocolloid bandage under the pod). I’ve been using them since I started on pods years ago. It helps me 95% of the time.

5 Likes

thanks,will try that

I use skin prep and Tegraderm. The I apply the pod. When removing it I use adhesive remover. I am very sensitive to the glue. As for the pain I have no idea. I am still trying to figure that out. I use it on my belly.

2 Likes

Hi Millz,

Just want to make sure I understand - you place the Tegaderm on your skin and then the OmniPod on top of it? There is no problem with the cannula being able to go through the Tegaderm and into your skin? Does the Tegaderm stick well even when wet? I’m going on vacation and plan on spending a lot of time at the pool/beach. Thanks.

2 Likes

update: looks like it is just my arms that have the itching/pain issues, stomach and thigh both without issue. I will have to try arms again in a different location to see if it is consistent. One other question I have…can anyone actually see into that tiny window to see the cannula? I would really need to be a major contortionist and have better than perfect eyesight to be able to, as the book says, “look through the viewing window on the edge of the pod to verify that the cannula is inserted through the skin”

2 Likes

You are correct in the order it’s placed. I’ve been doing this foe years and have had no problem with the cannula piercing through. The Tegaderm sticks really well to my skin (I place it is locations with zero to hair). For me, it stays put swimming, in hot tubs & showers. But everyone’s skin is different.

Here’s a post with a detailed step by step explanation of the process I’ve been using ((which includes putting an additional layer of Tegaderm over Pods & Dex sensors…I do a cut out with the top layer so I don’t cover the Pod/ sensor). I can’t think of the last time a pod or sensor didn’t stay on for the full duration (excluding ones accidentally ripped off).