It’s one patient

I would be interested in reading the actual clinical study. Will see if I can track it down. Sounds like another promising lead in the search for the holy grail (cure).

Proceed with the stone throwing!

2 Likes

I have started a reply several times and not finished it. I will finish and post this one. :smiley:

I am mad at myself for clicking it. Because I promised myself that I would never click a “cure” link ever again.

But I did not actually read it.

I have learned after clicking 7,842 cure links in my 'betes career that I only have to look for a certain “thing” in the article, and after finding it in the article, I don’t have to read it anymore.

From the article, this is all I needed to see.

So far, her stem cell transplant seems to be working better, alongside her immunosuppressive drugs.

Please don’t think of that as throwing a stone. It’s just that immunosuppressive drugs are a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

If we can fool, suppress, whatever, the immune system to no longer attack itself, that would that not be a viable option? The only cure is if something is done to, or around, the immune system.

Can you elaborate?

1 Like

In general, if I have to suppress my body’s ability to defend itself, I find that a dealbreaker.

I suppose if it is only preventing it from attacking itself, that could be okay.

But this article does not make the distinction. Immunosuppressive drugs weaken your immune system and increase your risk of infection.

To me, that’s worse than the 'betes.

3 Likes

So a TARGETED immunosuppressant would be OK? In my mind it could be…if that’s what is happening here. I haven’t read the study so I don’t know what type or level is Immunosuppressants are being administered.

2 Likes

I don’t know.

All I saw was the “immunosuppressive drugs” phrase and I was outta there! :joy:

2 Likes

@Eric and @ClaudnDaye Have to admit I’m similar to @Eric on this one, I also look for the comments on immunosuppressants. The thought of selective immunosuppressants is interesting, but my understanding (while dated) is that it usually means broad spectrum which increases concerns about infections and other disease creeping in while defenses are lowered! I keep hoping for the tests to show that making the insulin producing cells from one’s own body would reduce the need for immunosuppressant treatment; alas I haven’t read of any such studies. In its place, I keep hoping for “caged” cells that protect from the bodies’ own anti-bodies! I’m thinking I may be too old to participate, but the advance could mean the world to younger T1s. The next concern, of course, will be the cost of treatment which I’m sure will be too high for many folks (think the cost of insulin for half a life-span, plus the cost of CGMs for similar period, lancets, test strips, etc., etc.). While we’re waiting for the miracle to be realized, perhaps the world will become a better place!

4 Likes

Appreciate the perspectives and I agree…anything that surpresses the immune system is bad news and opens up the patient to all the other diseases and sicknesses and wouldn’t be a good trade-off.

Oh well, I’m gonna keep reading them and hoping. But I’ll be looking for this keyword (immunosuppressancy), going forward.

4 Likes

Many years ago, I turned my attention away from looking for “cures” and instead looked toward seeing advancements in treatment.

And things have gotten much better since that change of mindset!

Since then, CGM’s, pumps, rapid insulins, better basal (Levemir was the first new basal that did things differently than the NPH family!), and loop algorithms were developed.

So for me, looking toward better treatment has been less of a disappointment than looking for a cure.

Not all of the new things are necessarily better!

I personally liked the old PDM with the buttons better than the Dash PDM touchscreen mess. But Dash pods that do not require a Riley link are a huge improvement over the old pods. The Omnipod5 was not an improvement. For me at least, the G7 is a step backward compared to the G6. I like the old simplified version of Loop compared to all the overly complicated and extra button-pushing of the new versions.

So you pick and choose what you like. Having options is great!

And for both @ClaudnDaye and @TomH, I need to also say this, because I am sure this resonates for both of you - the Dash pods are vital for us. If Insulet ever discontinues those, it is a huge step backwards for us. We need to keep those pods going!

5 Likes

Other outlets mention that this particular patient was on immunosuppressants already because she had two liver transplants in the past. In other words, this is only progress with regard to the supply of islet cells. Nothing has changed when it comes to the need for immunosuppression.

5 Likes

I know they tend not to do pancreatic transplants in T1DMs unless the patient needs a kidney as well. Of course these transplant patients will be on immunosuppressant drugs for life. The problem is that even with immunosuppressant therapy sometimes those pesky T-cells will destroy the new Beta cells.

This would be true for transplanting Beta cells, even those grown from the patient’s own stem cells.

Up above it was mentioned targeted immune suppression. This would be a step in the right direction for a cure for T1DM and perhaps the many other autoimmune diseases. Even better if a way to reprogram the immune system to stop targeting our bodies.

4 Likes

Some labs are exploring encapsulation of islet cells in gels or pouches that would allow exchange of nutrients and insulin while preventing entry of immune cells.

4 Likes