Is anyone getting more than 7 good days out of a Dexcom sensor?

For the longest time, my sensors have generally been doing a similar thing between days 8-10, ie not giving any readings for a couple of hours at a time and sometimes giving wonky readings as well. I honestly got tired of calling dexcom so now I don’t bother unless it is earlier than day 8. The last time I did report a complaint, it turned out to be the transmitter that failed, The e-form did not work so I used the chat method instead and it worked fine, I got a new sensor and transmitter

4 Likes

Never had good Dexcom readings on abdomen. Have always worn on back of arm. Lasts 10 days or more if I restart

1 Like

I have more of a problem with the darn things staying stuck.
I have to use skintac, or the sensor will start peeling off within a few days at most.

I know I am a broken record on this, but for anyone having reading issues, how hydrated are you? Try and be over hydrated to see if this makes a difference.
I know that if I am not drinking enough, I can get some wonky readings with false lows/highs and rapid changes in BG that are obviously not correct.
A full day of liquids and everything is usually back on track for the dexcom.

I have always been using the abdomen until recently. I tried the arms, but I rip them off in less than a day.
I am currently using my upper inner thigh for the dexcom and the opposite inner thigh for the Omnipod5. Takes a little to get used to, but it sure feels better without everything on my stomach like before.

Again, try and drink a LOT of fluids for a day or three, and see if/how that changes your dexcom readings.

5 Likes

Myself and my daughter both use a G6 on abdomen (“love handle” area). Neither of us have had any serious sensor issues in months (all going at least 10 days), and I restart mine to get 20 days out of them. Even on day 20 they’ve been fine.
My only issue is occasional signal loss at night, which isn’t a problem for me. I just restart the collector in Xdrip+ and toggle bluetooth on my phone off and back on and it reconnects just fine.

1 Like

I rarely get to the 10-day point with these sensors (abdomen and arm placement). It’s mostly been the sensor error problem but occasionally it’s the totally off the wall readings. The customer service form is a life saver in contacting them (come on Omnipod!), but the hassle involved is frustrating.

1 Like

I usually have the same experience as @Funk: "between days 8-10, ie not giving any readings for a couple of hours at a time and sometimes giving wonky readings as well. "

It is very annoying to be woken up in the middle of the night with a low alarm because the sensor just sent a reading that is 40 points below the previous one. Then it bounces back partially up, then it gets back to the real level. And the dropouts are about two hours. If it goes longer I get it replaced by Dexcom. I still have to put a hydrocolloidal bandage on every one before putting it on my arm due to my allergic reaction to the current adhesive. Restarts seem to vary according to your blood chemistry, and they don’t work for me any more.

2 Likes

@RollerGranny I love the name, the images that come to mind are great! I couldn’t agree with you more about the form Dexcom uses. you’d think once they have your name/address, most of their form should be automatically filled in for you. I can’t help thinking they did it on purpose to dissuade people from filing them (perhaps just a bit of conspiracy theory there!). I wrote to them complaining about their complaint form being exactly that. Perhaps if we Fudders all complained along that line and got others to do likewise, perhaps they’d listen?! Hey, I can dream…but maybe it could be reality…

2 Likes

Same here. I still foolishly check my calendar about Day 10 when I start a new sensor but I rarely make it past Day 9 lately. I have been on abdomen for a few months. I had much better luck on arms.

Check the adhesion to be sure the sensor wire is staying out in the original location and not moving around in the tissue.

I have had the same problem generally starting on day 7 with drop outs and false lows. The latter are the worse, because the tend to be at night. I had really good results for a couple of months with sensors on the back of my upper arms. Then I had problems, so I moved to the upper abdomen.

Yesterday, Thursday, was day 9. I had drop outs with false lows, false high readings, I calibrated with finger sticks 4 times. I decided to do a little experiment. I restarted the sensor by removing the transmitter for 30 minutes after stopping the sensor. After the warm up, this sensor was way wackier than a new one. I stopped it and installed a new sensor.

I know that some get 20 or more days out of a sensor. I wonder if there is a difference in their and my biochemistry. Sounds like FM to me (Effing magic)

1 Like

My sensors will last as long as I can get them to stick to my skin. That simple for me (well, not really anymore, I have lots of problems with the adhesion lately.)

Again, staying OVER hydrated makes the biggest difference for them working for me. And believe me when I say it ‘can’ make a difference. Not for everyone, but I bet it will help almost everyone get better results. It works in your interstitial fluids, and being hydrated is what makes it work.

3 Likes

Sometimes this occurs if not well hydrated. Do you drink extra especially on hotter days?

My current sensor is on day 19. Usually get 15+ per sensor.

I use arms and inner thighs, since pump usually on abdomen.

2 Likes

Maybe one of these days I will be brave and post a picture…then the name will make sense! Agree the form could be more streamlined! I’ve started making the process easier by writing the date I started the sensor on the package info thingie. It makes life a bit easier…it’s the small things! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too. And I just submitted today and immediately got a response and order.

Make sure you put it as a tech issue

2 Likes

I am SO IRRITATED right now. Although I’ve been getting a solid restart out of almost all of my D6 sensors, I just started my very last sensor, which makes me feel vulnerable. I have been hassling New England Home Medical, the sole Dexcom distributor that appears to work with Dexcom and BCBS of MA, for OVER TWO MONTHS to get new sensors ordered. My dr’s office has faxed them the appropriate and correct paperwork THREE TIMES (I have copies of the paperwork, including the completed fax transmission sheets). I am two days into this last sensor and it died tonight.

Posted to my local Facebook group asking for a Good Samaritan to forward me a sensor that I’ll pay back once my new ones arrive and a friend of a friend came through (and I’ll pick up tmrw am, once our roads are better after the snow from our surprise-ish snowstorm is cleared). I guess I’m just venting here, but please send through any ideas for speeding up this process? I have called, emailed, and texted NEHM regularly. They’ve been full of false promises. I am so frustrated.

4 Likes

I had a similar problem with Edgepark years ago. I solved it by mailing notice to my insurance that their vendor was not competent, etc. and I included documentation about all the faxes and calls to both my insurer and Edgepark that had been ignored. Basically I demanded that they offer me an alternate supplier. It resulted in me getting approval to get Dexcom supplies at my local pharmacy.

5 Likes

@JessicaD if you are a Costco member, you can take advantage of the CMPP plan and with a valid Rx pay cash OOP at a reduced rate for extra sensors and transmitters. No health insurance. Cash and carry at the pharmacy. Usually takes a day or two to get them.

4 Likes

@JessicaD I also use NEHME but not for Dexcom. I am using CVS/Caremark for Dexcom but they are also slow and frustrating.

I have had to go back to pinpricks and test strips several times while awaiting my order.