Interesting Visualization of Covid-19 Deaths compared to other causes (US)

Today, the results put Covid-19 on top

Covid-19 - 1970
Heart Disease - 1774
Cancer - 1641
Accidents - 466

:cry:

2 Likes

Why do all the other causes of death remain stagnant as COVID is counted? Shouldn’t all of them be updated on a daily basis for proper comparison?

Welcome to FUD, glad to have you participating. I am not sure that there is an easy way to accomplish what you are asking, since reporting the number of people who have died of each cause of a death is more of a retrospective analysis rather than a live update. The Covid number are being reported daily because they are being collected daily. Perhaps we will have some upgrades to the public health departments as a result of this to allow more immediate reporting of death types.

In my mind this visualization is being done to put the Covid deaths into context, but isn’t trying to be a live dashboard of death types.

4 Likes

@Healthydiabetics I think the Covid-19 death numbers are somewhat inflated, and other causes deflated. Doctors are instructed to enter Covid-19 as the primary cause of death if they even suspect that Covid-19 is present.

This can be ridiculous, as if in a gunshot victim is comorbid with Covid-19, his proximal death cause is listed as the virus. But it is more usual in an elderly patient on death’s bed with multiple medical issues having their cause of death listed as Covid-19 even though it’s not proximal.

In our perverse system, hospitals are given a virtual incentive to list Covid-19 as the cause of death because they get an increased payment for that diagnosis.

Those other causes of death are being lowered because of the doctor’s focus on Covid-19.

Hmmm, this is an interesting thought.

It was my thought it was what is listed on the death certificate; that being, the issue which cause the death.

Could the person have recovered from the gun shot wound but the virus killed them before that was possible?

1 Like

Sometimes the cause of death may be a combination of factors including Covid-19. Getting shot and subsequently catching corona is unlikely, but in case it happens, corona could make the situation worse and potentially kill you.