Interesting Visualization of Covid-19 Deaths compared to other causes (US)

Interesting visualization, putting the deaths caused by Covid-19 in March 2020 into perspective of other common causes of death. Also, please note as that the visualization runs you will see the deaths per day until it likely peaks later this month. Interesting use of visualization technology and a very relevant topic.
edit - Looks like the developer updates this every day with the new US data.

13 Likes

What an outstanding visualization!

It is also a bit frightening :slight_smile:

1 Like

More frightening if we don’t flatten the curve and it keeps growing. But yes, really nice way to put things in perspective. Of course local condition like the high population and lack of ICU beds in NYC makes things more difficult in certain locations.

1 Like

I agree the visual is powerful and frightening at the same time.

2 Likes

Wow! :flushed:

1 Like

Did you look at the graph? It ends on 3/29, which was two days ago. Not the future in April. (I have no idea where his numbers came from or how reliable it is, but you presumably did since you posted it).

2 Likes

It’s been updated. Covid-19 is now third on the list. :frowning:

Click the refresh button and you’ll see it change.

3 Likes

I think it always remains a day behind. Hopefully it will keep on updating to the end. We should be able to actually see the flattening effect when it happens.

I have been coming back to this thread every day since @Chris posted it! I think it will be my daily routine until the end.

4 Likes

My daily visit here is not looking good today. This is starting to look like Italy.

2 Likes

The US is going to make Italy looks like Child’s play…I hate to say it, and I hope it’s not the case, but that’s my gut feeling – time will tell.

We might end up worse than Italy, but by population we aren’t even 10% of the way to Italy in percentage of deaths by population. If we were like Italy we would need to hit approx. 75k deaths, and once New York’s situation has stabilized, which is by far the US’s worst case situation (lots of international travel and very high population density) we may have done enough to slow this down and get control. Hopefully we don’t end up anywhere near the worst case in deaths.

1 Like

…yet. I know I’m Debbie Downer, but I feel like we’re going to hit quarter million. Hope I’m VERY wrong!

I do too, also one of the most important variables is the number of ICU beds and ventilators available per population, and New York City is again near the bottom in this category. As long as our efforts allow as many communities as possible to not overwhelm the healthcare resources available, we can do much better than predicted. Once we overwhelm each cities capacity, things turn ugly as they have in NYC.

2 Likes

States bidding against each other for PPE AND the Federal Government AND other countries is a real problem. If healthcare facilities can’t/don’t have the gear/beds they need, there won’t be a good outcome. Hope it changes, but so far it’s a big problem.

3 Likes

The news are only reporting the worst, I know of three nurses in north Houston that were laid off because there is no work to do since they cancelled everything elective. And of course the PPE situation sucks, but like everything else it will get better with time. Hopefully the time we are buying from self isolating. I just wish the whole country was doing it at the same time.

6 Likes

Not true in my case. I’m hearing and researching the good and the bad. There are many cases of people “coming together” and looking out for one another, sharing PPE, making sure gaps are filled where Federal, State or local help isn’t provided…so I’m hearing all of that also. But in the grand scheme of things there are MASSIVE gaps and deficiencies within the country for staffing, PPE, beds, not to mention there isn’t a cure for this right now. What NY is going through now, every other state is going to go through before this is over…maybe to lesser or greater extents, but no state or county is going to be exempt.

If we can, as a county, get out ahead of this and have ONE unified vision and voice for the process then it will get better. But if we continue to have a peacemeal approach, we will see the numbers grow in an unprecedented manner.

Whatever we do…this is something that we need to have THE ENTIRE COUNTRY doing at the same time…the same process, the same stay-at-home requirements, quarentine, aquisition system, etc., If we stagger how we proceed with dealing with Covid-19, within states and counties, things will go on many many months.

2 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

And assuming no one in that pool moves, that picture will stay just like that. lol

3 Likes

Check out the hazmat. Billy Murray was decades ahead of the rest of us.

6 Likes